What's new

digital music servers (1 Viewer)

Tom_Price

Stunt Coordinator
I was planning on buying an Onkyo MB-S1 digital music server this week, but an Onkyo representative informed me that the unit has been discontinued. I assume due to the item not selling well.

Basically, I really like the idea of a component with a HDD and USB capability to store my MP3s and WAVs so they don't eat up precious hard drive space on my computer. Plus, the unit would run directly into my stereo system as opposed to my little satellite computer speakers.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a product similar to the MB-S1 digital music server, or any thoughts on a component with the the same purpose? I'd like to hear them.

Thanks,
TJ

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Tom,
If I were to buy such a device today I would probably get a Turtle Beach AudioTron 100: http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/prod...roducthome.asp
It does not have an internal harddrive, but instead a network connection and can pull music from multiple servers at once as well as internet radio stations.

Personally I prefer a unit which pulls from a separate server since I can then have better control over it as well as upgrade storage space at will. However, if you're really set on a unit with internal storage then I'm sure there are other ones out there, but I honestly haven't looked so I can't help you much there.

Other options including getting a CD megachanger, which has been my path so far. Of course I only have a few dozen CD's to organize and tend to listen to an entire CD at a time, so complex playlist functionality wasn't high on my list of requirements.

Good luck in your search,
-- Dave

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a Sonic Rio Digital Music Server (same one Dell sells) that pulls music from your hard drive also. It has an ethernet connection and finds mp3s and play lists from your hard drive. Also does not use much ram and does not slow down network traffic.
In fact it must have a nice size buffer because the hard drive light only blinks once every 5 minutes while the Rio is playing. I spent $35 plus shipping over at Ubid not a bad deal, also bought a extra 80 Gig hard for my computer dedicated for mp3s and videos.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks