What's new

Digital Cable - Yellowish tint on skin tones.... (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I recently upgraded my Digital Cable service (with Time Warner) to include 4 HD channels. This meant that I got a new Cable Box, the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD.

Since getting that box, I've noticed that there is a yellowish tint on almost all of the people's skin when watching TV.

It only does this on digital and analog cable channels, not HD channels.

I have an Avia-Calibrated Sony WEGA 36" HD-ready set. The input is through S-Video, going through my Onkyo receiver and back to the TV to the "Video 1" input on my TV. This does not happen on any other video sources, DVD, PS2, XBox, GameCube, or HD.

Does anyone know if this is a known problem with the Scientific Atlanta cable boxes? Or if the problem could be caused by something else? I'd love to find out, 'cause it's really bugging me.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I don't have the HD option, but I have a Scientific Atlanta digital box. I haven't noticed a yellow tint, but I do get some different levels from the cable box than I do from the DVD player. I have three presets on my Sony, so I set up one with Video Essentials for DVD watching, then I set one up for the cable box, which for some reason outputs a lower black level than the DVD. I also find video level fluctuation on the premium channels, such as HBO.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
This isn't something that can be fixed by adjustments on my TV, I'm afraid. It's like "patches" of yellow that sometimes show up on people's faces.

It's hard to explain, but I'm convinced that it's the cable box trying to do something to my picture. I used to have a Scientific Atlanta digital cable box (before I got the HD one), and I never noticed the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks