What's new

Digital Cable audio connection (1 Viewer)

MikeHalder

Stunt Coordinator
I just got digital cable from Cox this week and wanted to get some feedback on the best audio connection for this new component. the cable box has RCA stereo and digital coax audio output. Would I gain anything from using the coax out for audio instead of the sterio RCA out? My receiver (Sony STR-DA777ES) has 2 coax audio inputs (DVD, CD), but I could reconfigure the the AVR to use one of the coax inputs for audio input for TV/SAT section of the receiver ('audio split' function). Is it worth the trouble reconfiguring, or just keep the RCA stereo hookup for the audio?

Thanks,

Mike

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Definitely hook up the digital output! Many movies in my area are recived in DD 5.1 through the digital cable box. This setting is accessed through the setup options via the cable remote.

Derick S

Auditioning
Good question. I just got a replacement digital box (first one blew) from Comcast. My box is a Atl Sci Explorer 2000. I have no doc on the box, but on the back I have a AC-3 single RCA out. I'll experiment and see if it works with my Dig Coax input. My receiver is a Sony also. STRDE975. I like the Sony's flexibility of changing A/V sources. :emoji_thumbsup:

AjayM

Screenwriter
I agree with the above, you want to hook up the digital line as your cable company is probably pushing DD through most of the base movie channels (I get DD from HBO, SHO, MAX, Strz, Encore, but only the first couple of each).

Also, you most likely need to still hook up an analog line, on my box, the digital out only works on channels 100+, everything below that is only analog. Thank goodness the pre/pro automatically switches between them.

Andrew

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I have Cox digital cable and I get 6 or 8 channels in 5.1. All the channels over 100 are at least DD2.0. It is worth hooking it up to use the DD. I wish the cable company would list the channels that are 5.1. It is hard to tell which are because old movies are not in 5.1, so if it is not a new movie you can not tell if it is 5.1 capable. I called Cox and they did not know what 5.1 is.

MikeHalder

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses! I will give it a shot and see what come out in the wash. I just have to figure out the audio/video source puzzle so that it all works properly. I was told by the cable company that the service reqires 2 way communication with the cable box and that my MonsterPower HTS2500 will prevent that communication from happening and cause the box to stop functioning. I allways run any power/cable sources which originate outside my house, through my 'surge protector'. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this issue? I looked an the cable box outside has a 12 or 14 guage ground at the splitter before it enters the house and the cable is underground. Should this be enough protection for my system or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks,

Mike

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I do run the cable through my cheap surge protector and it works for me. That is for the TV. I don't have a surge protector on the cable modem connection, I go striaght to my router for internet connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks