What's new

Different Hard Boiled versions (1 Viewer)

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'm going crazy trying to find Hard Boiled and I want to know what the various versions of this film are. I know there is the Criterion Edition that is VERY hard to find because it is OOP. There is also a version bundled with 'The Killer SE'. I have found an Asian Criterion edition on Ebay. Barnes & Noble has a version that is mono.

Which versios of these have english overdub and good sound? I want this film bad, but am confused!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I have found an Asian Criterion edition on Ebay.
That's known as a "bootleg." :)
The two discs released in America are the Criterion disc and the Fox Lorber disc (which is in the 2-pack you mentioned). Both feature the same soundtracks (English and Cantonese mono). You can see a comparison of the discs here.
DJ

TheoGB

Screenwriter
However, talking of Hard Boiled:
I've been told by a Chinese mate of mine that the 'happy ending' where we see the young cop on the boat alive at the end was a Hollywood thing. He seemed to suggest there was a version out there without this bit of semi-schmaltz. Is that true?

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I know this post belongs in the Regional DVD Area part of the forum. But my question is, do Hong Kong Legends have the rights to Hard Boiled? (HKL's The Killer was a decent enough anamorphic transfer, and I'm hoping the same for Hard Boiled.)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well these dvds (fox/lorber versions) are available in region 1, the U.S. so why should this be in the regional dvd area?

i think the fox/lorber versions are oop.
but if you check a local video store they may be on shelf.
i see them at blockbusters in my area.

just in case you wanted to watch tehm but can't buy them.

Amano Ai

Agent
HKL does not have the rights to Hard Boiled, Tartan does. I purchased the Fox Lorber(sp?) Killer/Hard Boiled set on Ebay when I found out they were OOP and Disney had the rights to them.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Here are the reviews for the region 1/0 versions of HARD BOILED. This does not include the Tartan UK release and the new HKvideo French release.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/hardboiled.htm
If you don't have this one yet, try holding off as it is getting a new anamorphic release from Mei Ah next year.
This is probably all you will ever need to know about the KILLER releases on DVD.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/killerdvd.htm
Both were slated for release in the US in Sepetember as the R-rated English dubbed cuts. These mysteriously never came out. Rumor is that Woo may have done something behind the scenes.
In short, if you can play all regions, the Hong Kong Legend version of the KILLER is best.
For HARD BOILED, wait for the new one if you don't speak French.
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks