What's new

Difference in Parasound amps for Paradigm Studio Ref. 100's? (1 Viewer)

Paul Gere

Second Unit
I'm about to upgrade my Anthem AVM-20 to 2.0 and at the same time, am thinking about adding two more channels of speakers/amplification. My current amp is a Parasound HCA 2205A (220w x 5) and I like it very much. To cover the 2nd two channels, I'm thinking about either:
[a] Adding a Parasound HCA2200 (220w x 2)
Springing for a used Parasound HCA-3500 (350w x 2) and putting the 3500 on my main L/R: Paradigm Studio Reference 100's.
NOTE: Other speakers include: Center = Paradigm Studio Ref. CC, Surrounds = Studio ADP's, rear speakers = (not decided yet...Studio 20's or Studio 40's [TBD]).
The big questions:
Will I notice much of a performance improvement in 2 ch. with option or should I save the funds for other uses and keep power consistent on all channels with option [a]?
Would I be better served with amp option [a] and using the cash for larger rear speakers to compliment the mains and ADP dipoles?
Does this ever end? (Don't bother...I know the answer to that one!) :D
All suggestions/ideas are appreciated!
-P

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Paul, I have the same mains, cc and 2205 great match. I too am looking into more amps I talked with the guys from ps audio about there new digital amp (150x2) sounds like a great amp for the money! supposed to be warm, smooth and detailed, right up my ally:D this amp was given an "A" rating recently in sterophile (Oct 2002) amongst some very expensive amps.
I believe its around $1650 and you can buy direct from them and they have a 30 day return policy similar to svs. Give them a call they are very helpful on the phone!
Good luck, Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks