What's new

Pre-Order Die Hard (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
I'll let Ellis express our collective approval:

A__3124 - Copy.jpg

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This'll be an interesting test seeing as Die Hard has always had something wrong with it on home video.

Last edited:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Would be nice if they re-integrated the missing scenes, i.e. How did McClane's t shirt get so dirty?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This'll be an interesting test seeing as Due Hard has always had something wrong with it on home video.

I'm not sure how much of that has to do with previous transfers and how much of it simply has to do with the look of the film. I think much of it was shot on fast stock in low light, with older anamorphic lenses that enhanced distortion.

The 4K version on iTunes looks pretty much identical to the existing blu-ray (on a 1080p set), so I'm curious to see if this version will look much different.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm pretty sure the heavy DNR on the Five Star Collection release wasn't part of the original production.

Dave Gerbrands

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Gerbrands
Just curious.. is Criterion going to do a release of this? There is a 35mm screening in Boston in June and it says print courtesy of Criterion Collection and 20th Century Fox

Dave Gerbrands

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Gerbrands
DIE HARD 35MM PRINT
New York City policeman John McClane (Bruce Willis) is visiting his estranged wife (Bonnie Bedelia) and two daughters on Christmas Eve. He joins her at a holiday party in the headquarters of the Japanese-owned business she works for. But the festivities are interrupted by a group of terrorists led by Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) who take over the exclusive high-rise, and everyone in it. Very soon McClane realizes that there's no one to save the hostages -- but him. Directed by John McTiernan.

35mm print courtesy Criterion Collection and 20th Century-Fox

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
DIE HARD 35MM PRINT
New York City policeman John McClane (Bruce Willis) is visiting his estranged wife (Bonnie Bedelia) and two daughters on Christmas Eve. He joins her at a holiday party in the headquarters of the Japanese-owned business she works for. But the festivities are interrupted by a group of terrorists led by Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) who take over the exclusive high-rise, and everyone in it. Very soon McClane realizes that there's no one to save the hostages -- but him. Directed by John McTiernan.

35mm print courtesy Criterion Collection and 20th Century-Fox

There is a Criterion Pictures who handle non-theatrical bookings for many major studios - somebody may have mistaken the two when making the listing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A friend sent me via Amazon a copy of the UHD Die Hard release for Christmas, and I watched it tonight. The film always had a kind of softer look on home video, and while some of that is still present, this is still the best it has ever looked on home video, and the HDR has been carefully administered so that only a few places do bright light flares pack a wallop, and black levels are unquestionably the best they've ever been.

I consider this possibly the greatest action thriller ever made, certainly one of the most intelligent ones just filled with advances and reverses for our hero and some great surprises along the way, too, and a host of great characters both hero, villain, and nincompoop.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Matt this is great to read.

Bought this on Black Friday sale for about $10.

It will be another month or so until my projector arrives so until then I am very excited about watching this renewed in 4k

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I consider this possibly the greatest action thriller ever made, certainly one of the most intelligent ones just filled with advances and reverses for our hero and some great surprises along the way, too, and a host of great characters both hero, villain, and nincompoop.
I picked up the 4K as part of a BF sale, but was actually watching some of the film on cable over Thanksgiving and was thinking it did not hold up as well as I remembered. Though I was only really half-watching the film while doing other things. I'll have to watch the entire film from the 4K disc, maybe over Christmas break.

Britton

Screenwriter
I completely agree with all the positive comments. This movie is a masterclass in great screenwriting. There's nothing throwaway in it. Everything has a payoff. One great example is Holly's Rolex. It gets mentioned at the beginning only for it to play a vital role in the climax.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, this film never gets old for me. Great dialog, great villain, well-executed plot. Still the "Citizen Kane" of action flicks, IMO. I picked up the UHD earlier this year, and thought it looked terrific.

The only two things that bug me about the story are (1) what company has its Christmas office party late in the day on Christmas Eve?, and (2) the USC - Notre Dame football game being watched by the Huey Lewis look-alike at the guard station would have taken place in mid-November, not on Christmas Eve.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yes, this film never gets old for me. Great dialog, great villain, well-executed plot. Still the "Citizen Kane" of action flicks, IMO. I picked up the UHD earlier this year, and thought it looked terrific.

The only two things that bug me about the story are (1) what company has its Christmas office party late in the day on Christmas Eve?, and (2) the USC - Notre Dame football game being watched by the Huey Lewis look-alike at the guard station would have taken place in mid-November, not on Christmas Eve.

And 3) the least Bruce Willis-looking stunt double in the history of stunt doubles! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks