Did the original PlayStation had an inferior quality video subsystem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

This is a question that has bugged me for a long time...

I kinda like the PS1, especially because of the large selection of games. Still, there was something that always bothered me about the graphics.

When I was at Disneyland a couple of years ago, Disney was promoting "A Bug's Life". I remember them promoting their new PS game at "Innoventions", with a couple of systems wired to LCD flat screens. The game looked beautiful.

I bought it and went home. I knew it wasn't going to be the same, but video quality was wrong. Very wrong. The colors were bleeding, the image was fuzzy, and it had a fair amount of noise.

Later did I realize that my PS was delivering very fuzzy images (think: like a cheap VCR) when compared to other systems, such as my Dreamcast. It's not a resolution / hardware thing, more as if the modulation circuitry was shot.

I never bothered to check if other Playstations looked similar to mine, but I always wondered if the original PS (mine is a rather old model) had inferior quality video circuitry.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

It pretty much did. It also depends on which PSX model you have.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

And what connection you were using....

4. Javier_Huerta

I'm using the RCA standard cable. Was there any other way of connecting the PSX to a TV? I thought there weren't any other options with it.
    I might check out tomorrow how a PSOne looks. Although I'm pretty sure I'd rather buy a PS2 if I wanted the best video quality [​IMG]

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Well I have to say Tekken 3 on my late model PSX looks very good for an older system. The polys were jiggling outta their places at times and models were blocky but the images were by no means fuzzy or washed out.

7. Javier_Huerta

I actually noticed the fuzzyness in the image when I connected the PSX to my projector. The colors bleeded a lot, and the image looked fuzzy, no matter what I did. I must have bought my machine around early '97. It has been bulletproof, but maybe the video circuitry has some kind of defects, because the Dreamcast in the same projector looked awesome.

I'll check out today the video quality of a PSOne and a PS2. Thanks for your comments!