What's new

did i just find a 3.2 gig hard drive in my old pc? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just looked at my 5 or 6 year old packard bell that was up in the attic.
on the side it lists a 3.2 gig hd.
is that possible?
it is a seagate dma.

is this something, if it still works, i could use as a backup drive?
i was planning on getting A small 20 gig one but even they run around 60-70 bucks.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
on the side it lists a 3.2 gig hd.
is that possible?
Tony, just exactly how young are you? :)

That drive is pretty big compared some a lot that are still out there in use on corporate machines.

Plug it in. It'll work, unless it's faulty. You're not going to fit much on a 3.2gb drive but there's no reason why you shouldn't use it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
39. i bought this about 6 years ago, or maybe longer.

it seemed odd because in my recent search for a new hd the smallest i saw was a 20 gig at compusa.

it might seem to be about right now that i think about it.
i remember when i bought my current pc, 2 years ago, and it came with a 40 gig hd and i thought that was huge. compared to the one before which was 16 gb.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I think the smallest hard drive i have is (was) in my old 386 laptop, it was like 500megs. Another i have inside my Pentium 166, thats a 850MB (i also hav a 3 gig one in there too)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
27 here and I remember the good old days... Surfing the
"Internet" (BBS's) on a wicked fast Tandy-88 8088IBM
Compatible. Now bear in mind this was the "Deluxe" version
WITH a hard disk.. The cheaper model had no internal disk
what-so-ever... That internal disk was a whopping 540K!

Ohh yes those were the days.. 9600 baud cradle modems and
less ram than today's processors have as cache! :D

John Watson

Screenwriter
this little baby is about 3 Gig, and its fine for surfing, word processing, emails, etc.

we are thinking about bronzing it this or next year tho :D

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Yeah, I had one of those 20 MB hard drives and was the envy of my friends who were still feeding floppies into their Amigas.

Then one of my friends bought a 1 GB drive. It didn't fit in the case but stood freely on his desk connected to the machine with nothing but a cable, and the rest of us were green with envy. ;) It was a behemoth, 5.25 inch full-height drive and sounded like a lawnmower, but hey, it was 1 GB! :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Remember, 5 years ago was 1998. Could you even install windows '98 (along with Microsoft Office) on anything less than a gig HD? :D ;)

(Flashback Memory): When I first bought my Mac PPC (the first of the PowerPC's) I went to a computer store to buy a game and asked the guy if I needed more than the 16MB's of RAM I had in my machine. His eyes got REALLY BIG and said (in envy) "You have 16MB of MEMORY!!!???"

:D

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I remember around 1990 or so my first work "laptop".
It was a Compaq luggable...looked (and weighed) like a small suitcase, had two 5 1/4 floppies and a whopping 10MB hard disk. I was the envy of my work peers.

Anyone remember Bernoulli cartridges?

To answer TonyD, I still have running a Compaq Presario from late 1996, early 1997 with a 3.2GB hard drive. My 4 year old uses it for surfing pbskids.org and some pre-K games. It really came in handy when I needed to reformat my main pc. I was able to temporarily store important files, digital camera pictures, etc. then send them back after the reformat.

If it still boots up, use it!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
So far, the earliest reference (I could find) to one of the first gigabyte (1GB) hard drives (for consumer use) was in 1995...8 years ago!

I did find this though:
Anyone remember Bernoulli cartridges?
Remember??? My company was still using them a few years back :eek:

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Heh, old drives aren't that great anymore. They are so loud compared to the new drives that I don't bother installing them. Who wants to install an old drive that is louder then everything in your new PC nowadays? :)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>Yeah, I had one of those 20 MB hard drives and was the envy of my friends who were still feeding floppies into their Amigas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks