What's new

did i just find a 3.2 gig hard drive in my old pc? (1 Viewer)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Hey just 4 months ago I retired my MicroFiche machine at
work... We still use dumb terminals and a mainfame too.. And
tape drives out the ying yang. But to be honest there is no
better way for us to do it.. The sheer size of our customer
database will literaly fry (as in catch on fire) any server
we throw at it.. It's been attempted before! :)

Besides the Mainframe does more than 400+ of our "small"
servers that take up the entire data center.. Everything
will come full circle again..

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
We still use dumb terminals and a mainfame too
Nothing wrong with that. No crashes, blue screens of death, corrupt workstations, user interference. Bliss! :)

One of our biggest clients is now starting introduce WYSE terminals which are really cut-down PC that you can do very little with, but because they run Citrix they can use all of their apps etc as if they had a 'real' PC.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>One of our biggest clients is now starting introduce WYSE terminals which are really cut-down PC that you can do very little with, but because they run Citrix they can use all of their apps etc as if they had a 'real' PC.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
John,
My boss has one of them. We also have a Apple IIe. My first PC was the IBM 8088. With a whopping 128kb in memory. Ahhhh...the good old days of haveing to flip over the floppy's. When they were floppy. :D

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Anybody remember the tape drive used by the Commodore Vic20? I remember feeding Memorex tapes into that one... wonder if it had Dolby noise reduction? :D

P.S. I remember as a kid going into Gemco and typing my own little "program" into all of the Commodores (10=...) to scroll my name across the screen. I was so stoked when I figured out how to make it go diagonally and change the background colors!

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Do people still know what Gemco was??
I found these two pictures of the area in question... I couldn't find any pictures of the exterior of the store, unfortunately, sorry... :)

http://www.pbase.com/image/97545

http://www.pbase.com/image/97546

I think you can actually make out the Commodore logo on the bottom of the monitor in that second picture. I, of course, was not so fortunate to have a Commodore monitor, we just connected ours to a 9" color tv.

NOTE: These are not my pictures! It's kind of funny if you read the guestbook though, a bunch of former employees want to have a GEMCO REUNION! He even has a Gemco memorabilia page with some lifetime membership cards and employee id pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks