What's new

Did I do something bad?! (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I was playing music through my computer to my receiver via analog 5.1 connectors. I actaully got the receiver to light up "clip" on the display which means it is clipping. However the sound level was so quiet. Even when I turned it to nearly inaudible it said it was "clipping". My speakers don't sound any different I don't think. I suppose I could do a sweep to test this. But I would figure the difference would be night and day.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The INPUT is clipping.

I don't think any receiver has a way of knowing if the speakers that are hooked to it are clipping.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
that was what was weird....the volume was low...unless that is different than output...you might have to clue me in a bit

The problem is most likely that your computer is outputting too strong a signal into the inputs of your receiver. Go into your computer/soundcard settings, and look for a volume control there. There will likely be an "output" volume, or "aux out" or "5.1 out" or whatever. It is most likely set at full volume. adjust that down a bit, (maybe to 75% or 80% of full) and see if that fixes your problems.

Actually it'd be unusual for consumer audio gear to have low level clipping indicators. It's not really a big issue. I wouldn't discount it though, by all means lower the PC's volume to see if it goes away. Try another source too, like the analogue ouputs of a CD or DVD player.

Clipping during the power stage is far more likely, and potentially damaging. It shouldn't be too difficult to detect either, you essentially just need to compare the output voltage to the rails and quite a few amplifiers do just that.

If you turn both the PC and Receiver's volume down very low and it still claims it is clipping, then the clipping detection is probably just faulty. How you handle it would be a personal call though. Clipping detection shouldn't interfere with the Receivers primary functions.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My receiver has a "peak" indicator for analog signals as well, so I wouldn't say it is unusual.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks