What's new

Did Doobie Brothers *Captain and Me* come out on DVD-Audio today (1/8)? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard, Doobie Brothers Captain and Me was to be released on DVD-Audio today (January 8, 2002). Did it appear in stores today? I decided not to check out my local Best Buy because they did not get the Eagles and Hootie & the Blowfish DVD-Audio discs on their respective release dates. If the Doobie Brothers disc did come out today, can anyone comment on the sound quality? Is the stereo track 24/96 or 24/192? Thanks in advance.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Nevermind. Someone posted on Audio Asylum that Captain and Me did indeed come out on DVD-Audio today. The stereo track was done in 24/192. Interestingly, this disc has a 24/96 stereo track that can be played on DVD-Video players like a DAD. Here is a link to the information on Audio Asylum:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...ges/51896.html
I'll have to pick up this disc!

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Keith,

That's interesting news about the 24/96 DAD bit. Too bad there's no way to make my RP91 act like a DVD player for DVD-A's. At least I haven't found one yet.

Patrick

Michael_T

Second Unit
Patrick,

I have the Technics DVD-A10 and there is a function in one of the set-up menus under "other settings" called DVD-Video Mode. If you set this to ON, the player will act like a DVD-Video player and bypass the DVD-audio tracks. I would assume that since your product is the Panasonic RP91 that it should have this feature (unless they removed that from their set-up menus).

Also this isn't the first DVD-A that I have found that has a LPCM 96/24 stereo track. This is the third one I have found (I am the person on audioasylum that posted the review on the Doobie Bros. disc).

The three discs that I have found that have a LPCM 96/24 stereo track in the DVD-video area of the disc on the stereo side are:

Billy Cobham - Spectrum

Hootie and The Blowfish - Rear Cracked View

Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Michael, thanks for the info but I don't think that menu exists on the RP91.

To let you know, I've found that the stereo downmix for Naxos' Vivaldi Four Seasons DVD-A also outputs 24/96 from the digital outputs. I say stereo downmix because that particular DVD-A only has 5 channel tracks and I believe its 24 bit but can't tell for sure since my Denon only shows that it is 96K.

That's interesting about the other ones. I was thinking about picking up the Hootie disc.

Patrick

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
I am reaaly excited about this Doobie Brothers disc - only because my initial exposure to the album was the Quadrophonic "CD-4" vinyl release. It was one of the best sounding surround discs i owned back in the 70's, and when I ultimately had to settle for the stereo mix (after I had lived with the quad mix for years), it always seemed to be lacking something....

It may be strange as I normally DON'T prefer surround mixes of most things, but having heard that mix first...I guess it's similar to getting used to a stereo mix (of The Beatles, for example) - and then wondering why so many people seek out the mono versions. Because to you they just sound... er.. "constricted".

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Alex, interesting perspective. I have little experience with mono recordings, but I bought the mono version of The Doors debut LP on eBay awhile back and was really impressed with it. I had read many times that some of Morrison's lyrics on "The End" that are buried on the stereo mix are loud and clear on the mono mix. It's true! The mono version is incredible.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
According to HMV, the Canadian release data is 2001-01-22. I do think I'll be picking up this album, as I am a fan of the Tom Johnson-era Doobie Brothers.

-JNS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks