What's new

Did anyone get the new Diana Krall SACD today? (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Um, obviously you care or you would not have posted.:) I was clarifying a statement/inference made by Ron. This album was done in PCM so I don't understand why you are even mentioning analog masters. Anyway, please start another thread if you would like discuss mastering techniques, as this thread is about the new Krall album.

j

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Justin,

My point was that almost of all the Universal SACDs have had good sonics and this appears to be another one. I mentioned the analog masters in reference to other Universal albums.

The Super Audio mastering process can still get great sound from PCM masters. I do think the AKUS:Live and other SACDs (the three Telarc ASOs are superb) done in straight DSD can sound even better.

:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
My copy finally came and I really, really like this album. This is my favourite album by her since the one where she did Nat King Cole Trio songs. She's moved a few notches towards blues and pop which is OK by me. That's what I expected. I like the Mose Allison song that she leads off on and I like her doing her hubbie's Almost Blue way more than he. I think my favourite cover is her take on Tom Waits' Temptation, ooouh, love that B3 organ! I like Anthony Wilson's guitar on it and the several other songs he picks on for that matter. I can't remember this much guitar on any of her previoius albums. The original songs aren't bad. I particularly like the closer Departure Bay.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Diana Krall suddenly became much more interesting singing Elvis Costello songs. And she pulled off Almost Blue.

4 stars.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I was out last eve to pick up a copy of a DVD for the family to watch. I went to a local joint, the Disc Exchange. I decided to check and see if they were stocking the Diana Krall hybrid. They were. They also had a CD single of Temptation & I'll Never Be The Same, a non album cut. It was only $1.99 so I bought it. INBTS is her solo on piano and vocals. I wouldn't call it an earthshaking performance but it's OK. It's very natural and unproduced sounding though. At the 4:16 mark, somebody knocked the mic or it's lines or somethin'...? Anyway, there's two little thumps. To me, the song is sort'a like a droplet of aqua de puro in an ocean of salty brine.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I had to go to Montreal for the weekend for a hockey tournament but when I returned home the disc was waiting for me. I must say I am very impressed with this release. It's vibrant, eclectic at times, entertaining, with great sonics. This is everything I hoped it would be when I ordered it and I will be listening to this one for a long time to come. I just wish we could get more day and date releases on high res like this one. What I wouldn't give to hear the new Norah Jones on SACD.

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, Best Buy finally put this on their site at $9.99. This is the cheapest I've seen by $4. Watch for a funny glitch when you add the title to the cart.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I wish Blue Note would get their act together and put this out on SACD. A lot of companies could also make note of Universal and put their titles out day/date with redbooks.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just got Girl in the Other Room last weekend. I'm still digesting the music (not my usual cup of tea, and not at all like The Look of Love), but I'm wondering if anyone else noticed the superjewel case.

Mine looks like the usual case on the outside. Before I could unwrap the shrinkwrap, I felt something odd when handling the case. It felt like a slight ticklish vibration in my fingertips. I thought: "what a cool flashback; and after all these years!" But, no; it's the case itself.

The spindle is a little different than any I've seen before. It's a little deeper, and when you move the box around in even the slightest, the disc spins freely, causing the case to vibrate. It's a weird feeling, but quite pleasant.;)

Regards,
Doug

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I noticed it too. I also have Love Scenes (perhaps my favorite Krall album). I will post a short review over the weekend.

I'm just too darn busy with work going so well...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.