Did anyone get the new Diana Krall SACD today?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Evan S, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Just curious, I ordered it on circuitcity.com ($13.99 with free shipping) but I won't get it for about 4-7 days. Wondering how the sonics are.

She was on Letterman and played a tune off the new album that was great! I mean, a complete departure for her. Very jazzy with a blues feel. Not that typical adult contemporary jazz she's featured on the last few discs. If the whole album is like that one track, I'll be very excited about the change of pace.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Mine's in the mail...[​IMG] Diana Costello![​IMG]

3. Dick White

Dick White Stunt Coordinator

I settled for the CD for $9.99. I may pick up hi rez later if I really like this one, but I listen to her mostly in the car and I have burned a CD of my favorite cuts from several CDs. If I need a fix when I'm in the living room, I'm likely to throw in the Live in Paris DVD and get the added visual benefit [​IMG] .

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I got it yesterday and enjoyed it on first listen (4 or 5 tracks from the CD layer). I then took it downstairs to my primary system and listened to track #3 (Temptation). WOW, I was floored! The sonics (I only listened to this track) were quite good. The soundstage seemed very wide with plenty of space/air between the instruments. Diana's vocals were "right there" (not as much presence as Norah Jones' debut) and sounded huge if that makes any sense! To me, it had a similar soundstage to Patricia Barber's "What A Shame" from the Cafe Blue.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Can't find one single copy at my local Best Buy [​IMG]

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Thanks Ron, I'm very excited to receive this one. I haven't bought a SACD in a while and I'm looking forward to this one quite a bit, especially after your review.

7. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Except for cost issues, why not issue just the Hybrid SACD - which works on both SACD and Redbook CD players - instead of two separate versions.

If they really want SACD to fly, then start issuing only one hybrid version and be done with it.

I picked up the regular version assuming that they would do the typical and wait several months for the SACD. Luckily, I have not yet opened the CD and will return it and order a SACD version.

I look forward to hearing the SACD, and Redbook CD versions.

Mike

8. Michael St. Clair

Well, there you go.

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I'll probably order it along with another SACD and DVD-A or 2 from circuitcity.com. Best Buy had about 30 copies of the CD and 2 of the hybrid out (by the way, even though there hi-rez section is better than most that had not a single copy of any of the Neil Young DVD-As recently released - hi-rez floor space is definitely not their priority as compared to either DVDs, CDs or gaming software). It is obvious for new releases that the regular CD can be had for $10 and the SACD is more. After it is a new release, the price differences are neglible.

10. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I'm getting use to a friends copy of the CD, so may actually pick it up.

They hybrid costs more than twice the price - so I'm not sure I wanna purchase that.

Can someone tell me how it compares to the CD layer?

11. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I think it toasts the CD layer. It appears from first glance that it was recorded in DSD, but don't quote me on that.

12. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

The hybrid is only $13.99 at Circuitcity.com with free shipping.

13. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Duplicate Post, sorry.

14. AricB

AricB Second Unit

either 13.99 or 14.99 at BB, bought it yesterday, they had a couple copies in stock. seems like BB doesnt get new release dvda and sacds out on the shelves the day of release very often, a lot of times i'll find it there a day or 2 later? I go at lunch from work quite often...

15. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Ouch!This is the reason I haven't ordered it yet. I need to listen to it first[somehow].

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I picked this up yesterday and I have really enjoyed it. The redbook layer was what I listened too during lunch and then I heard a terrific SACD layer at home last night.

There are some choice cuts on the album, many with a jazzy feel.

I recommend it highly if you like Diana Krall or a softer type of jazz.

17. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

"Narrow Daylight" [​IMG]

The Costello/Krall collaborations are great. Somehow Diana's contributions seem to have blended quite well with Elvis' songwriting styles, making the tunes seem more complete then his last effort, the rambling and boring "North"

I hear a lot of Joni Mitchell influence as well. (more than just the cover tune, which is done quite well)

18. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

If you have Listen Rhapsody, the full album is available for listening there.

Not her best work but good enough, so I ordered the SACD.

19. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

It was done in PCM (Pro Tools), but sounds pretty good regardless. Actually Universal has yet to put out a pure DSD recording (all SACD releases are either sourced from PCM or analog masters).

Anyway, picked this disc up today at Best Buy (my local store only got in 2 copies of the SACD). I am impressed with the SACD layer. The added detail due to increased resolution is evident throughout.

Multichannel track is quite generic for the material. Low reverb of the mains for the most part throughout the surround track, though guitars and piano are highlighted from time to time. Vocals are spread across the front three channels. Black Crow is probably the best of the bunch as far as multichanel mixes go, showcasing what could have been possible throughout. Overall not terrible, but at the same time this track does not really cover new ground, hence the "generic" label.

As far as the music goes, if you liked any of Krall's earlier offerings, this will not disappoint you. Her music, even with the Costello collaboration, is becoming somewhat formulaic. I guess she has a certain niche, but I would like to see her cover new ground sometime (taking on something a bit faster or emotional where she can get her pipes going). A satisfying release none the less.

J

20. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Who cares? Almost all of my Universals sound superb. The analog masters are very clean anyway. [​IMG]