What's new

Did anybody besides me watch "Do Over" ? (1 Viewer)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I don't usually take a chance on a new show unless it has something that will appeal to me. In other words I'm not a casual TV watcher.

This show interested me however. The premise - a guy from present day wakes up to find he is a teenager back in the 80's - is not terribly original. However, it sounded like it could be promising what with redoing all your past mistakes and the fact it is set in the 80's. I'm a big fan of the era and music.

So the pilot episode was not bad at all. The kid (can't recall the character's name) gets to make up for the last time he gave a speech in front of the school and choked. He also started trying to patch up his parent's marriage before they get divorced.

The preview for next week looks good. At the premiere of "The Empire Strikes Back" he tries to give away the ending.

I hope this show lasts a while and develops and audience. It may pay off.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I caught it and liked it too. I wonder how many episodes it will take before he starts acting his age. Ok, that came out wrong. 14 silly!

He is going to have great fun with this. He's already got his principal where he wants him to be. Too funny!

Glenn

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
We watched it, and really liked it. I've had this fantasy/daydream probably thousands of times; getting to go back. Nitpick: Well, I've seen lots of vietnam movies. And 40's movies, and 50's movies. They tend to get the music right. So why can't they get it right in this show? It's either supposed to be 80 or 81 (I've seen differing quotes.) Madness - "Our House" : 1982. WHAM - "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go": 1985!!! Dead Or Alive - "You Spin Me Around": 1985!!! ZZ Top - "Sharp Dressed Man": 1983. :angry: One song out of place, ok. All the songs out of place, not ok. I should know, I was there. I was a freshman in 80-81. Graduated in 84. I am/was a music freak, and I didn't even get new wave until late 82. In 80-81, most people were rocking to Loverboy, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Van Halen, Boston, Disco, Michael Jackson, etc. MTV had yet to come to our town, (Orlando area) so new wave was on the verge of breaking. Hey, put the show in 84 or 85 if you have to if you want to use more new wave, but it being not that long ago, get it right. At least grab a Billboard mag from 81 to see what was the top 100 singles that year. I'm going to give the show a chance, and I'd love to talk with the writers/producers. How old are they? They can't be that out of touch, it was only 20 years ago!!! (Damn, I'm getting old I guess :D ) I'm looking forward to seeing this show's twin, That Was Then, This Is Now, to compare and contrast. I was more excited by this show because it was from my class! I hope they get it together. Favorite part: "They won't know about Dead Poets Society for 8 more years! :)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Songs out of place worked for the Wedding Singer, didn't really pay attention to each songs era, Kevin we need a music trivia game for you so you can exploit your talent. :D Anyway, I caught the show, for me it was ok, interesting concept to correct your mistakes, but I think it could have been done as a made for t.v. movie. 3 part event over the weekend, would have worked for me.

Jodee

Screenwriter
It was an ok show, besides the anachronisms. I mean, why don't they just say it's 1984-85 if they want to use all sorts of early to mid-eighties stuff?

Plus parachute pants? That was definitely not until 1984.

I am actually looking more forward to the ABC show "That Was Then" which debuts on the 27th. Same concept, but not a sitcom.

Freaks and Geeks did a MUCH better job of conveying 1980-81 (which this show seems to forget would have been more late 70's in terms of looks of the era.) It was cute seeing a few F&G actors though _ I noticed the girl who played Cindy as well as the Coach was still the Coach.

The lack of attention to detail aside, I do like the concept of the show and will still watch. I just wish if they wanted to do an "80"s show that they would have least set it a few years later so they could not make such glaring mistakes.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Was anyone putting blue hair dye in their hair in 1981? The anachronisms were driving me crazy throughout the show. It really felt to me like they were trying to create a cheaper version of Freaks and Geeks, even borrowing some cast members, but they didn't even come close. The whole show felt like a "dress up like the early 80's" party, rather than a slice of life in 1981.
Here's a hint for the writers: The Empire Strikes Back premiered in May of 1980, NOT in 1981.
I'll watch it again next week to see if the concept overcomes the mistakes, but this is one show that dug itself a hole by avoidable sloppiness.
Brad

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Nothing new to add about this weeks episode? I guess I am the only one who liked it enough to watch it this week. Well, I will say this.. baaaaahh... baaaahhhh... that was funny!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Got about two minutes into last night's episode before hitting "Delete". Obnoxious narration does that to me. Hopefully ABC's version (starting tonight) will be better.

Although, both are going to have the whole "guy in his thirties trying to romance a teenager" thing going. Sure, he's back in his 14-year-old body, but still...

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I watched it. I still think the premise is good but it may not last long enough to realize it. I think they need to take more advantage of his knowledge of the future rather than just go through the motions. Otherwise it is just another dorky teenager sitcom.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ditto here. I kept on thinking about '3 O'Clock High' and then tried of think of other movies that he may have seen to figure out a way to get him out of the mess he got into. Having the cops show up was a cop-out. Pun intended!

I hope this does pick up. The pilot was great!

Glenn

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So the pilot episode was not bad at all. The kid (can't recall the character's name) gets to make up for the last time he gave a speech in front of the school and choked. He also started trying to patch up his parent's marriage before they get divorced.
wasnt that the plot of "that was then" not "do over". or did both shows have the same exact plot?
in "that was then" he wakes up and is 16 in around 1987, and tries to get the prom queen,catches his mother having an affair and tries to get her to not ruin the marriage.
and gives a big speaach in front of his entire school.
also saves an old friend from being hit by a train.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
The pilots for "That Was Then" and "Do Over" were virtually identical in terms of plot events and basic characters.

Both shows have:
• a ~30 year old man who magically wakes up as his teenage self with full knowledge of the events that transpired throughout his lifetime (even though they haven't happened when he is)
• a wacky, zany male friend
• an attractive blond as the love interest
• parents that are not together in modern day but are both alive or still married in the past
• an electrical shock to the head triggers the time travel
• an important speech in front of a student assembly was a key event in the pilot episode

The differences are:
• "That Was Then" involves travel back and forth between now and then with the actions taken then impacting the events in the now. "Do Over" has thus far only shown the man trapped in his teenage body and time.
• "That Was Then" is structured as a drama (or perhaps a dramedy) while "Do Over" is played for laughs.
• "That Was Then" seems to suggest that this time/body travel thing is really happening. "Do Over" is playing fast and loose with anachronisms because (my impression is) everything that is happening to the main character is only happening in his brain (and he isn't very good at remembering when things happened).

One (or both) of these shows won't last, and if I had a vote I'd eliminate "Do Over".

Brad

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Man! The producers of the show should apply a defibrillator to themselves so they can go back in time and FIX THIS SHOW!!

A good premise but POORLY executed. Saving your parent's marriage is certainly a noble pursuit but what else is he doing besides going to school? Didn't he see "Back to the Future - Part 2"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks