What's new

Dianna Krall Live - Anyone seen her? (1 Viewer)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
We decided to pick up a couple of tickets to Dianna Krall this Saturday night at the Fox in Detroit.

Anyone seen her live? Good show?

First time seeing her so we're pretty excited to hear her live. The Fox is supposed to be good acoustically.

Chris Botti is opening for her.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I saw her a few years back when she toured out here. Pretty good.

At one point, some idiot's mobile phone rang, and it was during a 'lull' between songs, when she had been talking to the audience. She promptly quipped "tell him you'll call him back" at the guilty party :laugh:

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Went to the show last night....Chris Botti the opening act was fantastic. We went out and got to meet him during intermission and got a CD signed. Sounded fantastic and put on a great show all around.

Diana's stint was very short, amazingly short, at least to us.

We missed her opening act because we were still waiting to Chris Botti. Went came in after the opening song while she was talking with the audience.

After that I think she only did 5 songs and that was it.

She sounded great...in fact she sounded so good in some songs I'd take a gamble it was recorded but when she did a solo song it was her all the way.

We enjoyed the show. The song selection was very standard and we really prefer some of her slower stuff where she shows off her voice. She was mostly playing off her newest CD which was not our favorite.

Still we enjoyed the show and would go see her again, especially if we knew the song selection ahead of time.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Only five songs? That's nuts. She's coming to my town, but I'm opting to see another band instead. This sort of makes me feel better about my decision.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
5 songs we heard. We did miss the opening because we were waiting for Chris Botti to get our CD signed. But it was only a few minutes so I know we missed one for sure, possibly 2. We were in no rush because in other reviews we read of her concerts they talked abou ther playing for quite a while. She got on stage about 9:30, talked to the crowd for at least 10 minutes and we were in our cars by 10:35, a 3 block walk in downtown Detroit.

I don't know if she is doing short shows because she just had twins or not.

The show did start late so I'm not sure if that meant they cut it early.

We were very happy with Chris Botti's show.

We bought his CD and listened to it on the way home. Sounded great...but...then we put it in just a few minutes ago in th system at home.

Very poor engineering on the CD, tons of background hiss. I'm in my office outside of the great room and it sounds OK in here but in the room itself there is so much hiss at only about 85db that it makes it tough to listen to. We're used to putting one of Diana's CD's on in the background and putting it at a low level, very well engineered stuff but his CD has no pop at low volumes and at higher volumes there is the hiss.

He is a great player but I had a tough time getting Blade Runner out of my head, a lot of his solo stuff sounds like the background music from the movie :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Oh, I see. I feel like 90 minutes is usually the perfect length for a show, including encores. Past that, I start to get ancy, regardless of how much I like the performer.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I saw her in Atlanta at Chastain Amphitheatre a few years back. While I did enjoy the show, I thought it was rather snooty when, prior to her coming out, an announcer came on and said something like, "Ms. Krall asks that you please wait until between songs to exit your seats." Other than that, her sound and performance were spot-on.

mcintosh

Grip
Real Name
GREGORY
Interesting. I have not had the opportunity to see her yet here in New York. And after seeing her on her 2 DVD`s, Live in Paris, Live in Montreux, its a little alarming to hear that her shows are running short now.

However, I like what you all are saying about Chris Botti. I`m waiting for him to show up here as well. What do you all think about Diana in those Lexus commercials? She is looking quite beautiful to me.

Still don`t understand how she wound up with Elvis Costello?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks