What's new

Dialogue being drowned out by sound effects (1 Viewer)

russdnails

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ Desnoyer
Hi,
This is my first post and hope my question isn't too basic. I just set up a 5.1 system in my living room with the basic components being a Sony STR-DH520 receiver and Polk RM6750 speaker/subwoofer set. (I wasn't sure what forum category was most appropriate so I also posted this thread in the Speakers section.)
I realize this isn't the fanciest equipment but it's what I can afford for now.
It seems like I'm losing the dialogue to background sound effects in almost anything broadcast in 5.1--tv shows or movies streaming through my Roku, HD cable channels, DVDs, etc.
Boosting the center speaker to +3 or 4 seems to help a bit but it still doesn't sound "natural" frown.gif
Would upgrading the center speaker to something higher-end help with this or would I just be wasting money only to have things still sound about the same? I've calibrated the rest of my speakers with an SPL from Radio Shack but if I leave all the speakers at 75db I really have to strain to hear dialogue without boosting the center channel above the other four.
If upgrading would help, I'd sincerely appreciate any suggestions on a brand or model.......
Thanks so much for reading my post!
Kindest regards,
Russ

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure you are getting discrete 5.1 signals? Most tv shows, even though they are broadcast in high def'n, doesn't necessarily mean that they are sending the sound in a 5.1 format (I don't think). The sound is usually still two channel and your receiver converts it to a DD II type of format. I find that when that happens, the affects speakers (everything but the center channel, usually) puts out much more "busy noise".
When you listen to a dvd with discrete 5.1 surround, is it as bad as the tv shows? I have gotten where I watch tv in stereo just for that reason (no surrounds or center hooked up--sound comes out only through my mains). I still run my center channel a little "hot" like you.
I think if you want a good 5.1 system for "movie watching", you need a really good center channel (where all of the dialogue comes through) and a really good subwoofer for the deep bass.
Discrete means that a specific signal is sent to a specific speaker as in 5.1 dvd;s, DD II and the like take two channel signals and divide them up to make it 5.1.

russdnails

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ Desnoyer
Hi Frank,
Thanks for the reply--most of my cable tv shows are broadcasting in 2.1--my receiver actually indicates this as I switch channels. Some are in fact broadcasting in 5.1 and these are the ones I'm having problems with. I'm doing the same thing you're doing with tv shows--just running signal in stereo as I find that using ProLogic II setting on my receiver tries to split the 2.1 signal and it just sounds really unnatural. The sub that came with my system actually has quite a bit of kick so I think I'm good there.......
Russ

russdnails

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ Desnoyer
My rears are about 6 feet away and the mains are about 8 feet away.......I've tried reducing the surrounds as low as -10dB but at that level I lose most surround sound and still have the same problem--the dialogue issue seems to be related to the front speakers.....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Have you messed with "distance" at all?
It could be the phase is all wrong. And yes, even .025 of a second is enough to mangle a soundstage.

russdnails

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ Desnoyer
Sam,
Thanks for the reply--I have in fact measured the distance from each speaker to the spot where I normally watch tv. I entered the distance for each of the five speakers in the receiver. I don't have a basic understanding of "phase" but there is a switch on my sub which allows me to set it at 0 or 180 degrees. I leave it on 0 per the user manual that came with the system.....
Russ

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I wasn't referring to the subwoofer...
Yes I meant the 5 speakers...
You might tweak that setting in your receiver a foot or two in and out.
You also might try swapping your center for one of the other speakers to rule out an actual speaker problem.
Polk is notorious for using crappy wire terminal ends. One might have fallen off in the center. (not a serious problem. Just means, if one of the clips fell off, one of the drivers isn't connected inside. If that is what is wrong, you'd simply take one of the midrange out, find the unhooked wire, reconnect it and use a "wire stripper tool" to crimp it back together tighter)
Edit:
What is your crossover setting? With only a 2.5" driver, you should probably have the crossover up around 150hz.

russdnails

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ Desnoyer
Thanks again Sam--good advice.......I'll try tweaking the distance settings to see if this helps. I can also certainly swap the center with one of my other speakers but am not confident enough to take it apart and repair it--this would have to wait until one of my more tech savvy friends is around to help. My crossover is set at 80hz, again per manufacturer's recommendation. I'll try increasing to 150 as you suggested.....
Russ

russdnails

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ Desnoyer
Sam,
My mistake--again I'm a newbie and didn't have access to the manual when I replied. When I initially set things up, I did in fact have it set at 120 per the manual but moved it down to 80 after doing some reading on various websites. There's a lot of information out there and much to be learned! I've tried adjusting the crossover while playing a movie at the same time and honestly can't discern any difference between 80 and 120hz.......should I be able to hear a difference? I've tried sources with male voices, female voices and music without vocals and don't hear a difference......
Russ

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes you should be able to tell a difference. Setting your crossover at 80hz does three things....
1. Leaves a gaping hole from 80hz to 120hz-ish.
2. Makes your center(really all the speakers) work too hard.
3. Can ruin the speakers...see No 2.

russdnails

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ Desnoyer
Sam,
Thanks again for the insight--I'll definitely turn the crossover up to 150!
Cheers,
Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks