What's new

Dialog Volume Balance (1 Viewer)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I have an ongoing issue with dialog volume in HT. This is true with my current system (Paradigm Reference + Denon 3801) and was true to an even greater extent of my previous system (JBL cubes + Sony DE series receiver). The issue is when I hear dialog only, meaning there are no effects or music - if I adjust the volume so that the dialog is to my ears at a comfortable listening level, when the effects and music kick in the sound is way too loud. Then if I turn the volume down, when the dialog kicks in again, it is too soft for my taste. This is not an issue with dialog clarity. I can always hear the dialog. Rather, the issue is that there always seems to be a mismatch between dialog only volume and volume for effects/music, so that I feel I have to constantly adjust the volume during a movie. Am I the only one who has this issue?

What is the solution? Do I increase the center channel level by a few db? Some people say this is a bad idea. Do I get rid of the center altogether? Can I fix it by adjusting speaker placement?

TimothyW

Grip
I have the exact same issue with my Denon 2802. My thumb is always on the remote's volume control buttons! I want to hear the dialog clearly, but when the effects/music kick in I feel it is too loud. I have calibrated the SPL on all speakers with a SPL meter and the AVIA test disk, but I am tempted to turn up the center channel a few DBs higher. Anyone else have this problem and what fix if any was done?

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Thanks for that link. Does anyone know how to turn on/off dynamic range compression on a Denon 3801?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Eric: Just use the Parameter adjustment when you are in Dolby Digital mode. It's the D.Comp feature. Just scroll down to it and set it to taste...

BruceD

Screenwriter
Is your center speaker even with a line connecting the front of your Left and Right speakers?

If you took a string and measured from your seating position to the tweeter on your left speaker, your right and center speakers should be the exact same distance.

Since many center speakers are not setup this way, HT receivers provide something called center channel delay for center speakers that are closer to you than your L&R speakers.

Set the delay at 1, 2, 3, or 4 (ms or feet) and see if that improves the center channel dialog. Try each one and listen for improvement.

You also need to make sure it is calibrated to the same SPL as the Left and Right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks