What's new

Di Caprio Lands Alexander the Great Role (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Seth: unless Leo takes to the Morocco nightlife too much.
I know you had a smiley Seth, but really, when have you ever heard that Leo was less than 100% professional, that he let his private life intrude in any way upon his film duties? As far as his nightlife goes, he IS a young man, and last I heard those creatures have hormones and like to have fun. (Maybe I'm thinking of some other species :D) 99.9% of fun-loving, hormonal young men don't have the world watching every move they make, ready to report, gossip and criticize though.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
First I've heard of that too. What's the second one?
I could be wrong about that as well. It just seems like I remember reading that there were going to be two Hannibal movies in another thread awhile back. I think Vin Diesel is supposed to be in one of them, or maybe the only one.
:D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
There were at least 3 Al the Great projects working. The article linked above mentions all three, which I also alluded to.

The resolution of the Scorsese project was for Dino to bring him on board this Baz project as a co-producer which is not that odd a solution to these multiple project problems.

The article implies that Dino will be trying to resolve the Stone conflict as well, so that only 1 film gets done. Will Stone be bought out, will he be brought on board, will financiers back off his project now that Dino already has $100m, a star co-producer, a star director, and a BO hit lead on his project...I can see that.

Right now the Dino production is well-ahead of any development Stone is doing, and that is going to cause big problems in getting financing. Just look how bad films race when release dates are relatively close (Tombstone/Earp, Antz/Bugs Life, Red Planet/Mission to Mars, etc). No producer wants to follow up a $100m project some 6-8 months later as an "also ran".

It's one thing to follow up with a similar film, but the exact same character is really risky. Look at the Wyatt Earp BO vs Tombstone. Half. That's what following with the same subject 6 months later can do to you.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I tend to agree with Seth...we'll get one "the Great" and I'd just as soon it was this one. Great director and great actor and great producer = a good feeling. DiCaprio is really one of the very best actors working today. Don't hate him because he frolics with supermodels and was the toast of 1998. It's not his fault. He wasn't even the star of Titanic :)
And to think that this film will look anything like MR is to vastly underestimate Baz. This should be a grade-A winner:D
Take care,
Chuck

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Wow I didn't realize when I posted this that the pairing of Leo and Luhrmann would cause such a commotion!

I'm puzzled by the reaction to DiCaprio - he seems a capable enough actor to me. As to Luhrmann while his movies don't really appeal to me - MR was pretty good - at least he does different movies from the rest.

OTOH we all have our own pressure points. Me, I really struggle with Tom Cruise in anything and avoid Julia Roberts like the plague.:b

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I remember reading that there were going to be two Hannibal movies in another thread awhile back
Well I know for a fact Ridley Scott made one of the Hannibal films last year, and another one is on the way soon. :crazy:
Appalled Mod replies: Steve you Leo-Basher stop this silliness right now!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
And to think that this film will look anything like MR is to vastly underestimate Baz
Yes. It will obviously look more like Strictly Ballroom. Come on guys, get a clue. Sheesh. ;) :D
I would be very surprised if the quick cutting, garish art direction, etc from the Red Curtain trilogy were brought to this project.
That's like expecting Schindler's List to look like E.T. or Jaws. Or Minority Report to be like Hook.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Mildly OT: Moulin Rouge is on TV right now... In P&S. I feel as if someone put blinders on me, the damn thing's so cramped.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Ted Tally says that Alexander will be bisexual in the movie, and thus the final nail has been struck for me. Isn't there enough to fill a decent movie about Alexander the Great without having to go there?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
We can assume that this movie is going to be at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours long. It would be silly of them to not have even so much as a mention of Alexander's private life. That's what biopics do. Or, are supposed to do. Good for them, I say.

And if there were "other nails" before this last one, you would have stayed home anyway. Why even worry about it?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Who said I was worried? I will stay home, thank you very much.
Well, you mentioned it. It must have bothered you for you to mention it. There's nothing wrong with being bisexual so by even mentioning it as a reason for staying home, you wanted us all to know. Why's that, I wonder?

It's just that I expected there to be a lot of anti-Baz and/or anti-Leo sentiment, but anti-sexuality? That's weird to me.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Did someone say anti-Leo? :D
Just for the record, Luhrman is perfectly cool in my book. MR did a lot towards erasing the bad aftertaste R+J left me with. Could have something to dow ith Leo not being involved ;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Leo DC's depiction of the Sun Queen in The Man with the Iron Mask gives me full confidence he will be able to pull off a bi-sexual Alexander the Great.

Cees

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
It's not as if it will be portrayed Caligula-style (umm.. I assume, anyway!) -- Are you saying you just don't want to see the movie, in general, or the mere fact they're portraying AtG as (accurately) bi-sexual will make you steer clear?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks