What's new

Dexter's Lab crosses the line (1 Viewer)

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

I couldn't agree more. Every time a terrible crime is committed it seems like everyone and everything but the guilty person is at fault. A kid gets pulled over by a police officer and shoots the officer and because Tupac was in the tape deck it becomes Tupac's fault? Why isn't the shooter held totally responsible? Its ridiculous.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

Definitely. The thing is, when I was growing up, the bullies weren't the stereotypical street punks. They were "good kids" from good families and the only way to deal with them was to beat the snot out of them. When I was a skinny little freshman, a senior twice the size of me slammed me into a bookcase from behind. This was done in full view of a teacher. When my mother found out, she went to the principal and he told her "The kid does a 100 good things for the school, why should he be punished for one bad?" So much for doing the right thing.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Let's not even bring up the deteremental effect the old Three Stooges had on fragile little minds! Imagine poking your friends in the eye, hitting them with hammers, slapping them in the face repeatedly, kicking them to the ground, the list just goes on and on.

Blaming television/movies for the actions of individuals is crazy. Some of the highest paid actors and most watched shows are sitcoms yet I don't see or hear an uproar for people running around committing random acts of comedy.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
I recall many years ago regarding the TV violence thing someone saying "how much TV did John Wilkes Booth watch"?

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Quite honestly, I think that if there's a healthy family relationships in place, and the kids have more to life than just tv, some close friends, and other activities, and can talk about things like these with their parents, they will be perfectly fine.

I very much believe that all the parents complaining about violence in cartoons, etc are just being lazy parents. If they sat and watched with their kids, like you do, and talked with them about such things, we wouldn't need to censor cartoons. Remmeber, it takes two to tango. These things just don't cause violent acts by themselves. Something significant has to happen to create the violent (chemical?) reaction.

I don't think you have to worry about your kids watching cartoon network, Eric. You are a good parent, and please continue to do so. I wish more parents were like you. You care.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget "Tom and Jerry". Those two were continually beating the tar out of each other. My God, I have a sudden urge to slam my cat's face with an iron! It's MGM's fault! :D

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Wasn't there a Beavis and Butthead episode in which they were almost electrocuted flying a kite in the rain after watching a PBS documentary on Benjamin Franklin?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
This random act of commedy made me laugh, so who do I complain to about it?

Seriously though, I do have to agree with what others have said, at least Eric is taking an active role in what his kids are watching. Most people just use the TV as a babysitter, unconcerned with what's on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks