What's new

Desperately need help with my Yamaha RXV800 receiver!!! (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Over the last few days my Yahama RX-V 800 dd/dts receiver has been shuttng off as if there was a short or an overload such as when two speaker wires touch. I have gone through every external device to see if there was something not right with any of my connections. As of this morning the receiver won't turn on at all.

I have disconnected every component and have the receiver sitting on my table right now and plugged into a completely different outlet away from my system and it still won't turn on. When I press the power button it click as if to charge the capacitors, but immediately clicks again to shut off (all in les than .5 of a sec).

So it seems to me that it has something to do with that.

Can anyone electronic gurus give me a hand in what this might be. The receiver is well out of warranty I believe and I really don't want to drop and cash on a new one.

Please help!

Thomas_A

Second Unit
If it attemps power..its more then likely not a fuse. Probably something went in the power supply. Not what you wanted too hear...but more then likely.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Are you refering to the transformer?

I'm gonna have to contact Yamaha and see if I can get replacement parts and find advice. I can do all the work myself as I have a diploma in electronics, but without schematics and voltage references I can't do anything.

This is what is normally does:
push power button, noise clicks once, powers the capacitors noise clicks again.

This is what it is doing now:
push power butting noise goes clickclick and nothing happens

So to me it is either the two main power caps or the main power supply.

Any other help from anyone?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Ryan

Transformers don't often fail. Sometimes they buzz as the laminations loosen but they rarely fail. Most likely, it is not something mechanical, but rather, something like a power transistor, diode, resistor, capacitor has gone bad and the safety mechanism is shutting down using the relays you hear clicking.

I guess it is out of warranty. Since it is already out of warranty Yamaha may not try too hard to stear you away from any DIY repairs.

So first you need schematics and voltage references. Then you can dig in. After that, you can find out if they have the parts.

I think you are in for a long haul.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I agree with Arthur. I would not be surprised if it was a resistor that...in some circuits they use like a fuse. Had this happen on a small Magnavox tv. Only way too really tell is to get out the old meter and check things out. You might get lucky and it might actually be able too see the problem...

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
What a hassle....and it always come when you have no money.

I made a deal with my wife that if I wait till october ( when she returns to work from our car accident, and when the lawsuit is over) I am able to drop 1500 to 200 grand on separates.

Now I just half to figure out how to ge there!

In the mean time, I tinker and try to fix it.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Luck may have finally come my way.

My close friend works for a company here in Ontario called MTC.

They are the main repair center that all the Best Buys and Futureshops send their warranty repairs. Such as if you bought a yamaha receiver from Best buy and had it under a extended warranty and it died, when you took it in to best buy, they would send it to my close friend.

So to make a long story short, This great and wonderful friend is going to take it and have his technician take a look at it and see what they can do...much much better than nothing.

Everybody keep your fingers crossed for me.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Ryan

That is a good development for you.

I hope you are not serious about spending $150,000 to $200,000 on separates when you get a settlement from a car accident. Sounds like your wife took a real pounding. If you had to cut a deal with her for such excess, I would seriously rethink any prospective purchase and cut your budget to 10% of your current numbers. You can get a hell of a system for $15,000-$20,000.

Also, equipment lists are not permitted in your signature.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
cool...definatly let us know what they find on your Yamaha unit. I have 4 at home- oldest is 11yrs old ... 4th one is still in the box. I can say ...(knock on wood) ive never had any thing go wrong with my yamaha units...except on my 11yr old model...the display light went out after a lightning strike!

Not bad :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks