What's new

Denon vs Onkyo vs Yamaha (1 Viewer)

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
I've read so many posts of folks who prefer Denon or Onkyo over Yamaha, that it's got me wondering. I'm going to be pairing my choice with Paradigm speakers for a Home Theater. The ones in my price range are:

Yamaha RX-V659 - 130 W/Channel, 0.06% THD
Denon AVR-2106 - 100 W/Channel, 0.08% THD
Onkyo X-SR604B - 90 W/Channel, 0.08% THD

I'd love to hear your opinions on these. (I did many searches, but I wasn't able to find much specific info)

Thanks for your help!
Pete

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
The AVR-2106 is no longer available, unless you can find old stock of them. It is being replaced by the AVR-2307CI, which comes in at a slightly higher price tag ($799 MSRP). The AVR-2307CI adds HDMI switching and an all-new processor; it is essentially the AVR-2807 with slightly less power and no iPod control capability (it instead has a "dock" companion accessory that hooks up via analog audio cables). This model isn't quite available yet (at least my showroom hasn't gotten them yet), but the AVR-2807 has been quite a hit here.

I can't vouch for Onkyo or Yamaha models because I haven't been intimate with them for 4+ years. I've had extensive experience with Yamaha in the past, and they do make a very solid, affordable product. To my ears, the Yamahas do sound a bit brighter than the Denons. But I would say audition both brands and see what YOU like the best.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I don't know where you got the specs for the Yamaha but the rating the Yamaha site gives it is 100 watts per channel. If these were my only options I would most likely take the Onkyo. You might wan't to look a Pioneer Elite or Harman Kardon receiver as well. another receiver to consider is the Outlaw Audio Model 1070, it retails for 899.95. I realize rating in watts for the Outlaw is significantly lower than the receivers you have selected. But realize that companies like Yamaha and Denon bloat their ratings in a similar affect to what Sony does. Note all the receivers you selected weigh around 25-28 pounds, the Outlaw weighs a staggering 40 pounds. This means it has better construction and a larger power supply that can draw over 7 amps. The Yamaha consumes 3.3 amps, the Denon consumes 3.5 amps and the Onkyo consumes 7 amps. The only thing that concerns me about the Onkyo is its weight that might indicate poor construction. HDMI is a nice feature to have on the Onkyo.

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
Thanks Seth=L. I looked at the Outlaw, but its price is double what I can get the ones listed for. That puts it in a whole other category for me, since it was a stretch to get the ones listed. I have learned to accept that there are some receivers that I just can't afford!

Nick:G, maybe that explains why I can get the AVR-2106 for such a good price on the internet. Sounds like it might be a good deal.
The "brightness" of the Yamaha... I confess that I do not understand the description. I have read though, that some guys think that brightness is a plus for Home Theater. They say it makes dialog easier to understand. Does that make sense to you?

Pete

mackie

Supporting Actor
Speakers are going to have the biggest impact on the sound of your system. I wouldn't expect any of those receivers to sound dramaticlly different. Buy the one that fits your budget and has the features you like. The Denon is a good piece of equipment. I've owned Yamaha in the past, and they have a reputation for making solid equipment.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Just my opinion but the Onkyo is my choice here for price, function, prior use by myself, and general specs. I don't like Yamaha's user interface. Onkyo receivers are bright to me as well, making them good for surround sound and dialog enhancement.

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Yamaha's older recievers IMO were great platforms for audio playback. As of recent, I haven't been satisfied with Yamaha's offerings... and I sold my last reciever and bought a used TX-DS787 Onkyo off my buddy. I was very happy about acquiring that reciever, and so far it has served me VERY well, even for being 6.1 and about 7 years old. However, Yamaha's construction is still very rock solid aside from my beef about their recent stuff. (the yamaha you listed falls under the category of their old stuff, which I like.)

Since it seems like you are wanting to stay under the $500 mark... I'd actually consider Harman Kardon's offerings... the volume knob is a bit cheezy, but other than that... their power ratings are a bit laid back, and are a little more powerful than they claim to be.

But Denon, Harman Kardon, and Onkyo all have good offerings under the $500 dollar mark. I can't vouch for Pioneer at the moment, as I'm not sure. I have an older SX-626, but that won't help you :D

If anything, I would personally stay away from Sony recievers. I've had a few.. and I wasn't impressed at all.

Everything else aside, all the recievers are built fairly solid, and do some homework before buying :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks