What's new

Denon or new Yamahas sound better for music? (1 Viewer)

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Since my Denon is acting up I'm thinking of just replacing it. I'm considering a Yamaha since I can't remember reading any post complaining about problems with them. I have Klipsch speakers and have read before that Yammies can sound bright with Klipsch. Also what are the differences between the htr and rxv models? I be going to listen this weekend but I wanted some opinions before I go.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Bobby,

Nice to see a fellow Kentuckian here. I currently own a Yamaha HTR-5490 receiver that I purchased at Best Buy. This receiver is basically the same as the Yamaha RX-V1200. The only differences are that the RX series has preouts for amp upgrades in the future as well as a removable power cord. If you can get the RX for the same price as the HTR then I would go for the RX. Expandibility is always a good thing in this hobby. Since you are in the Louisville area, I would check out Ovations in St. Matthews. They carry both Denon and Yamaha so you would be able to listen to get a good idea of which one you should go with. As far as brightness goes, the 5490 is my first Yamaha receiver, so I can't really comment on brightness. However, other posters have stated that the new Yamahas aren't nearly as bright as their predecessors. Let your ears be the guide on that issue. Good luck in your search!

Brandon Smith

John Royster

Screenwriter
Wow, somebody from louisville. Too bad about the triple crown. :frowning:
I'll comment on my 3802. It sounds very neutral. Pre-amp section is pretty good and as a whole it is very quiet.
Definately check out Ovations and compare. They carry klipsch, yamaha, denon.
Ask for Steve or Bob. straight shooters.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Ovation is where I'm heading. That's where I picked up my 2802 and my Klipsch. I'm looking at either upgrading to the 3802 or one of the Yammies. If my 2802 is beginning to have a problem I don't want to be without a receiver for 2 months while it is repaired.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Bobby,

When you compare the RX-V1200 with the 2802 I think you'll find a noticable difference in music quality. The RX-V2200 is the 3803 counter part. Both companies make good products, however listen to them and see for yourself which you prefer. Be sure to let us all know what you think. I'll hold off telling you what I think, I'm just curious to see what you'll think of them.

Btw, the htr line is equivalent to the rx-v line except for some cosmetic changes on the front panel. The one exception is of course the rx-v1200/htr-5490 models. The 5490 lacks pre-amp outs, 12+volt trigger and replacable power cord. The internals between the two lines are identicle, built in the same factory with same warranty and MSRP. htr is targetted at rerail and online stores while the rx-v line is targetted at what yamaha consideres more high-end or respectable stores.

Also, if you do happen to find a rx-v unit online don't buy it as Yamaha will not honor their warranty if bought from a non-authorized dealer. I believe Denon has a similar policy.

- Mike

HankB

Stunt Coordinator
I brought a yamaha RX-1200 for my theater setup. Its great for movies, but I was suprised that it compared to my friend's Denon 3802 for music. We compared the setups using the same SACD player with the same SACD. Luckily we have pretty much the same speaker setup. Paradigm 80's for mains (he has V1's, I have V2's). I think the Denon is a little warmer, more like my Marantz stereo amp, but both sound great.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I think I'm going to listen to the RXV630 & 730. I'm also going to listen to the 1200 and 2200.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I'm going in tomorrow to listen. I'll ask for one of the guys John mentioned. Does the Sony ES line sound good with music. I figure I might as well listen to everything in my price range.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Bobby,
Whoops, I meant Steve or TOM Devano. Tom is very knowledgible and can probably give you the low down on every piece of gear in the shop. You can ask Tom if he likes the wine I gave him a few weeks ago after delivering my speakers, you might get some preferential treatment with my referral.:)
Sure, check out anything in your price range. Bring your own disks, listen. The sony ES might be a little to noisy for your Klipsch, but for sure listen and check them out. They are LOADED with features especially bass management and crossover frequencies.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I'm glad you said that, Tom was the name I was told to ask for when I called the store. I was just going to ask for one of the names you mentioned. They told me over the phone that they would work with me on taking the 2802 as a trade in for an upgrade.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
After doing some more reading and spec comparing I think I going with the 3802 or the Yamaha 1200 or 2200. I already know I like the sound of the 3802 with Klipsch. I'll have give the Yammies an audition. I do like the features on the yammies, especially 2 digital coax inputs.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner. (drum roll) the envelope please. It's the 3802. I just seem to prefer the sound of the denon's with Klipsch over the Yamahas. I want to thank John for recommending Tom Devano, he was very helpful and knowledgeable. Yes he likes the wine you brought him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks