What's new

Denon, Kenwood, Onkyo, or Pioneer (1 Viewer)

KennyG

Grip
After doing a little more research on a DVD player and receiver, I've kind of narrowed my choices.

Denon 910 with Denon 1604 or 1804 receiver
Kenwood 6050 with Kenwood 7070 receiver
Pioneer 563 with Pioneer 912 receiver
Onkyo SP501 with Onkyo 501 or 601 receiver

When I spoke with a Crutchfield repreentative they ind of steered me towards the Kenwoods, 6050 having Faroudja and 7070 being THX Select. They said the Onkyo and Denons were good but maybe not for me if I didn't listen to music much. Does anyone buy from Crutchfield? They seem like a good company, but more expensive than other places.

Does anyone have any of these or have experience listening to them? If so I'd like to hear what you think of them.

Thanks.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you're trying to keep everything within the same brand (not neccesary, but some people prefer it) and it's mainly for asthetics you may not want to mix the 6050 and 7070 because the 6050 is (as far as i know) only available in black and the 7070 only in silver. Also, the 563 is only available in silver, but the 912 is available in both colors i believe.

As for actual performance, I would probably go with the 563 and pair it with the 7070. The 910 has some CUE and flicker issues it inherited from the 900 (but not as bad as the 900). The Onkyo has bad CUE from what i've read. Not sure about the 6050 but i do know it also has the faroudja de-interlacer. The 563 is CUE free and has great format suport. Bass management is a little weak, but not a huge problem for most.

Jon Oliva

Agent
Hey Stephen - where did you hear (or see) that the Denon DVD-910 has CUE and flickering issues? The latest 'Secrets' update showed that it does not...so I am curious...

link add www to this

.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all&type=&manufacturer=0&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0#DenonDVD-910

The 910 uses Faroudja DCDi deinterlacing, which makes it one of the few less expensive players offering this feature. It pretty much smoked all the deinterlacing tests as it should and didn’t show any signs of any chroma problems. Thankfully, the cross color suppressor is off so you won’t be seeing any flicker in solid colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks