What's new

Denon DVD upgrade (1 Viewer)

Joe DC

Agent
I currently have the Denon DVD-900 with a Faroudja de-interlacer chip. I've been looking to upgrade into a universal player and am looking at the Denon 2900. I'd like to know based on video performance alone, will I get a much better picture than I currently have? My monitor is a 61" HD RPTV Hitachi. From my TV, I am using a component video hookup to my A/V receiver, than to my DVD player.
I have read many threads suggesting the video quality of the 2900, but am not sure if I should go ahead and make the purchase without looking at other players. I am also leaning towards the Marantz DV8400 because of the audio section, however, it is more $$$. I need some advice, please.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I think the 900 had some problems with jitter and maybe even CUE (not for sure on that one). The 2900 video quality is pretty solid, but not w/out a few flaws (some say it's somewhat soft). The 1600 still provides some of the best video quality out there but only supports DVD-A, no SACD support. The 2200 is supposed to have just as good video as the 2900 w/ slightly scaled down sound quality (differen't dacs, not sure the exact differences).

If you're considering the Marantz 8400 you may want to consider the Denon 5900 and the upcomming Pioneer Elite 59TXi. All three have great audio sections and do video scaling (720p and 1080i) over DVI or HDMI. I've read reviews of the 5900's video and it's supposedly absolutely amazing over DVI. All three players are in the same range ($1500-$2000). The Pioneer won't be released 'til January and is MSRP of $1500, so it may hit the street closer to $1200.

Hope this helps :)

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The DVD-900 had a terrible soft picture and some chroma flicker problems. The newer Denon DVD-2200 or 2900 would be superior quality. So would a DVD-1600.

Joe DC

Agent
Thanks for your reply. I'm not quite sure what video scaling is, but just to let you know my Hitachi does not support a DVI cable. What is video scaling? My best hookup would be component video. Also my TV display can switch between 1080i or 540p; although there is not a difference from what I can see when switching between the two. If I purchase the Denon that has 720p or 1080i video scaling, will I be seeing 540p or 720p on my monitor when switched to progressive?

Joe DC

Agent
Also, what do you think about the Marantz DV8300? I'd like to know how the video quality is when compared to the Denon 2900 or Marantz DV8400. I'm asking because I can purchase it at my local store for a much lower cost. I want the best possible picture from these 3 choices because I would like to make this my final player. The Pioneer is not offered in the store I have a contact with.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The DVD players like the extremely expensive new Denon model only support HD output (720p or 1080i) on the DVI port. For component video its 480i or 480p modes only.

Joe DC

Agent
If my Denon DVD 900 is giving me only 480p or 480i at best on my Hitachi monitor, then would upgrading to any of the said DVD players give me better picture than what I already am seeing with my component hookup? Pls help as I am still willing to purchase any of the 3 players even though I do not have a DVI port on my TV (I am not planning to change my monitor; by the way its a model 61 UWX10BA). Thanks for any input.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No it won't because the DVD source material is only 480i/480p - you can't add resolution! Without a digital path (DVI port) you are better off with a good 480p player. Unfortunately the DVD-900 has a very soft picture due to poor high frequency response, you would be much better off with a Denon DVD-1600 model.

Joe DC

Agent
Thanks so much for your input, I appreciate it. Would I be able to add resolution to my TV with an external video processor? (I'm not exactly sure how this works and where I would connect this to). If this is not an option, then will the Denon 2200 give me better video quality than the 1600 with my current setup. If not, then I will look more closely at the Denon 1600 or other 480p player. Any suggestions?

Drew_W

Screenwriter
and the upcomming Pioneer Elite 59TXi.
You mean the 59-AVi. It was slated to come out late this month or early next, but I guess (as seems to always be the case) it got pushed back. I did however see this player in action over HDMI with a Pioneer Elite plasma at a seminar they did at a local dealer last Friday, and let me tell you...we're really approaching perfection here. Wow. 14bit/216mhz video processing, and the rep said they're using a T-REX MPEG decoder chip, although I have yet to lookup exactly what that is. (As soon as I asked about the mpeg decoder, he thought I was going to ask about the chroma bug and proceeded to tell me it didn't exist, that it was only ringing in certain displays that was causing it. Hmm.)

The player wasn't hooked up to any speakers, this was just a video presentation, so I couldn't gauge the audio performance, but I'm sure it's fantastic. The menus looked rather similar to the 45 and 47, and in terms of bass management, the options are exactly the same. The Pioneer rep on hand couldn't tell me what the crossover slope was, but there seemed to be no option in the menus to change it.

Aesthetically, the player looks like the 47, but to me, it looked a little ridiculous...the feet for it seem almost too big. Meh, minor quibble, I really like the black aluminum styling of Pioneer Elite componenets.

I really wish I had time (and MONEY) to fool around with all these players, it would give me a better idea of which would be ideal for me. The agony continues...it's really too bad sales reps are so pushy and then unhelpful if you're not going to buy. Bah.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks