What's new

denon avr-5803 or B&k seperates? (1 Viewer)

steve. m

Auditioning
I am looking to upgrade from my old denon avr-3600.I am considering getting either the denon 5803($3250) or B&K seperates such as the ref 5o model when available with a 5 channel amp(at least $4000.) Its going to be used mostly for home theater, and i currently have the definitive technology BP2006tl set.any recomendations for a budget under$4000.?

DanielSmi

Second Unit
A guy named ChipE is trading in his 5803 to go to B&K separates (ref 50 and REF 200.7) he said he liked the features of the Denon but liked the sound of the B&K he had before the Denon better than the 5803 so he's going back to B&K. He should be getting his separates in a few weeks so you may want to PM or he might post a review for everyone.

Daniel Smith

Chip E

Screenwriter
Hey guy's,
Yes, it's true i once owned the B&K AVR-307 receiver and truely loved the warm,lush musicality of this receiver. I traded to the Denon 5803 because i wanted all the latest processing features. The 5803 sure does have them all. This is one fine reference receiver, no doubt. Fast forward mid September and what's on the horizon? B&K's new line.. Thinking to myself - I miss that wonderful B&K sound, the new line now has all the processing features i want ie: DD-EX,THX-surround-EX,DTS-ES, blah,blah,blah. So, not only did i decide to go back to B&K but, to finally go seperates. This is pretty exciting for me. I'm going with the Ref50 -Ref200.5 or .7 combo. I'm up in the air right now as to whether i want a 5 or 7 channel amp right outta the gate. A surprise plus is that the Ref50 comes with an MX-700 remote. This is the one area that freaks me out with the 5803 because the Atkis remote is truely hurrendous. Can't stand it.
You really can't go wrong with either choice although the Ref combo would most likely be somewhat over $4000.00
I'm on par for October 15th delivery. Right now i'm all over the net looking for balanced audio cables as the Ref combo has fully balanced in's & out's. Good luck deciding what's the best route for you. :emoji_thumbsup:

Yogi

Screenwriter
For the sound I would say definetly B&K separates. It would be a step up from the 5803 both in performance and price. If you can find the B&K combo for around $4000 then by all means you should go with it and never look back.
Chip I cant wait to hear your impressions of the B&K combo. Are you going full blown 7.1 setup with Ref 50 and Ref 7270? My next move will be into separates with a B&K Ref 60 (yeah by the time I upgrade it will be out:)).

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Denon is a good match with Def Tech and since you are primarily interested in HT, I'd say the 5803 would be a fine choice. (either would really)
You'd really have to hear them both yourself to say for sure which you prefer, but I've had separates (EAD) and now have a 5803 and don't find that I'm missing all that much soundwise. I know someone else who is driving martin logans and went from a tag pre/pro and cinepro amps to the 5803 and feels the same. I found separates to do better when listening to 2 channel, but feel the denon actually does better on HT (and it has more options for set up and sound) compared to the set up I had.
It really comes down to how much your going to obsess over the sound and "receiver vs separates". :)
List on the ref 50 is $2998, list on the ref 200.5 is $2798. Even if a dealer goes 25% off list, that is $4347, over $1000 more than what your getting the denon for.
decisions, decisions! good luck.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Thanks Colin.
I know what the cables are and what their made with. Maybe i wasn't clear. There are many manufacturer's i'm considering. So far, i like these XLR interconnects from SignalCables.com
Brian,
I'm glad you are happy with the 5803. It is a great receiver. Obsessed ? Hmmm intersting choice of words. Sounds like some deep introspection might be of benefit, lol.
BTW, list on the Ref50 is $2999.00

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Chip,
oops, typo. (fixed it). Actually, list is $2998. :)
"Sounds like some deep introspection might be of benefit,"
For me, or you? ;)

steve. m

Auditioning
well actually i was looking at the 7260 amp with the ref 50 pre amp,i heard the ref 30 is not being made anymore.I did figure the 4000. price for gray market, with their warranty service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks