What's new

I am now a seperatist! (1 Viewer)

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
After a 5 month investigation. I went from replacing my Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver with a NAD T752, to NAD T762, to HK 7000, to Denon 5803, to B&K AVR 307, to B&K AVR 507, to B&K Ref 30 and Sherbourn 5/2150 amp, and at last purchased: Sherbourn 7/2100 amp and B&K Ref 50. Spent the last two days in heaven setting everything up, programming the remote, and finally last night was able to watch my first movie with a system composed entirely of seperates. I picked Gladiator and while I know that I need to allow for some break in time, and at least a few more months to get all the sound levels correct, and a few months to try various speaker combinations, the sound was easily superior to my Yamaha. Quite frankly even my significant other noticed (wife). Having 200 watts of dedicated power to the center channel seemed to make the bigest difference, and in one scene, where a gladiator was whirling a ball and chain around in slow motion, the ball whizzed seamlessy in a large circle around my entire HT area. The passing from speaker to speaker appeared seamless. I switched to the beach scene from "Saving Private Ryan" and for the first time, the dialog was clear, crisp, and easily understood despite the action going on in the entire sound stage. Most noticible was a cannon firing from behind my right shoulder, two shots, that used to explode somewhere in the left corner of my theater. Now it was easy to hear that, in fact, the one shell landed exactly in the left corner, but the second shell actually exploded in the left hand corner of the center channel speaker. I could actually track each shell independantly as it tracked across the sound stage. Initial impressions are that the difference between this seperate system and my receiver is easily heard. I am looking forward to tweaking the sound a bit more, and allowing some break in time. Sherbourn's 7 channel monoblock design amp is outstanding, and as I am only using 5 channels, I belive that I will biamp either the front mains or the center channel to see what difference this will make. To all you seperatists out there, I see where you are coming from at last!

DanaA

Screenwriter
I used to wonder what they the separate's crowd was talking about also. What they had to say always gnawed at me though. I finally went the separates route and have never been happier. I know that certain flagship receivers might perform very well, but I don't think I'll ever go back. And, for the $1998 I paid for my Rotel 1066 and Parasound 1205A, I doubt any receiver would be better. Both HT and especially two-channel are superb now. For the first time, I don't have the upgrade syndrome.

Congratulations on your purchase. You really have a great system, I'm sure the envy of your neighbors...well, maybe not, most people just don't seem to understand our hobby/obsession.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
After a 5 month investigation. I went from replacing my Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver with a NAD T752, to NAD T762, to HK 7000, to Denon 5803, to B&K AVR 307, to B&K AVR 507, to B&K Ref 30 and Sherbourn 5/2150 amp, and at last purchased: Sherbourn 7/2100 amp and B&K Ref 50. Spent the last two days in heaven
Are you sure, I mean how do you know unless you've at least given the Lexicon MC-12 or the Merdian a shot? Just kidding, enjoy your new gear!

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Albert,

Very nice reading and I wish you much success and many hours of listening pleasure with your new SEPERATES system!!! Welcome to the other side.

It's interesting to me as in my younger days when I was single, I always had seperates. Then I married and had to go the receiver route as the WAF came into play. I even purchased Bose to keep the wife happy as she liked those little black cubes so I swallowed my pride and did the dirty.

Well, now I am back to seperates again as the WAF factor is not an issue. The next time around, seperates will always be in my life no matter what the situation. I ain't giving um up for no one!!

Thanks for sharing your story.
Charles

brad hi

Auditioning
you guy's are killing me!!! let me tell you my story. first i know about enough to be dangerous. i am a const. worker that gets laid off every winter and sit's around waiting on that tax check. i have been on the Klipsch forum for a year now and i am very happy with my Legends. they realllly ROCK witch is 75% of what i listen to and 25%movies. i currently have a old 5.1 Yamaha wich is crap is is painfuly BRIGHT with the legends. i guess i am getting ahead of myselfe my set-up is 2,KLF30's for mains, a converted KLF20 for a center, and 4,KLF20's fo surrounds and i'm running a SVS 20-39PC+. now i was getting ready to either get a Sunfire Ultimate Rec. or the pioneer VSX-49TXi but i get conflicting results on the 2. now i hit on this about the seperats keeping in mind you have to explain it to me like a child what should i be looking for hith 2500-3000 dollars to spend hope i havent rambled any thoughts would be greatley appreated, also i cant spell worth a crap! thank you all Brad.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Hey Brad,

I have Klipsch reference speakers and use a warm sounding Parasound amp to keep the edge off. Here's what I'd suggest, but please keep in mind that I don't have experience with every brand out there. I'd suggest a Parasound amp for its warmth with the Klipsch. I use the 1205A which is rated at 140 watts/channel, can be found for about a $1000 (although prices seem to vary quite a bit - I got mine for $649 at Ubid.com), and matches up amazingly nicely with Klipsch. The 850A should sound pretty much the same and can be found for around $400. It is rated at 85 watts/channel, but amps are usually very conservative in their ratings compared to receivers. I'd imagine the tonality of the sound would be very similar to the 1205A. For a pre/pro, I'd recommend either the Rotel 1055 receiver or the 1066 pre/pro. The receiver costs somewhat less, has five channels of amp inside, and includes a tuner, which the 1066 doesn't. Most who have compared it to the 1066 haven't noticed any degradation of sound. The 1066 lists at $1499, but I got mine for $1249. The 1055 lists for less, but I'm not sure by how much. The reason I recommend the Rotels is that they have a really nice sound in two-channels and you stated that you listen to a lot of music. Hopefully, others will chime in on suggestions, like the Outlaws, which I hear are quite good, are definitely a bargain, but reportedly a bit brighter sounding that the Rotel.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Brad, if you feel the Klipsh are bright, then you may very well have room issues (hard reflective surfaces) or you need to back off a bit on the treble. On the other hand, maybe these aren't quite the speakers for your listening tastes.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Albert,
Could you detail why you felt the other gear was not good enough. What kind of speakers do you have and what room size do you have?

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I'm leaning that way also..congrats..need to sell off my Marantz sr8200 first though...great receiver..I have no complaints...Sounds like you have a great setup....ahhh...sometime soon hopefully! tl

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
My H/K AVR 525 is getting demoted to a dedicated preamp this weekend. At least for the first 5 channels. I picked up a parasound 1205A. I will be upgrading to some power hungry speakers soon that would have brought the 7 x 70w H/K to it knees. I think separates are the way to go if you don't have any storage or space issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.