What's new

Denon AVR 4802- Any Reviews or Comparisons??? (1 Viewer)

Murray K

Auditioning
Any Reviews or Comparisons of the NEW Denon AVR 4802???
Is it worth the $2,500 MSRP when compared to Onkyo TX898 at $1,500?
Is it close enough to a 5800 to not wait for a Spring 2002 AVR 5802?
Murray Kerdman

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Can't give any reviews, but I'm thinking up upgrading my Sony 777ES to the Onkyo TX-DS898 or Denon 3802/4802 receiver. I want the 6.1 and component switching might be nice too.
I'd like comments on all three =)
[Edited last by Jeff D on September 20, 2001 at 12:23 PM]

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
The 4802 is a great receiver. I have one right now that I am using with an Atlantic Tech450 THX Speaker System. I am very pleased with it and I also have in my possession a 3802 and a 5800. I would place it much closer to the 5800 than the 3802 (and, again, the 3802 is a solid performer in its own right). Tons of headroom and great sound make this a winner.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
I owned a Sony DA777ES receiver for a few months and also a Denon 3802 for a while. There's a night and day difference between the 2 in favor of the Sony. In fact, to me the 3802 sounded shockingly bad in stereo especially if compared to the 777. I myself was in the market for a receiver and I auditioned at home A LOT of receivers including the Marantz SR-18EX and the B&K 307 and the 777 was better than all soundwise. I don't know how the Denon 4802 or the Onkyo 898 compare to the Sony though.
I myself decided to go the separates route. I recently bought a TA-N9000ES amp and am waiting for the Outlaw 950 preamp to be released.
Razvan

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
I have absolutley no regrets about my 4802 purchase... Some Members on HTF have been quoted prices as low as 2100 from retail stores on this unit. I picked mine up for $2300, so you can't do any worse than that. Many users claim to have gotten the 3802 for $799 from 6thave, but I wouldn't know... At that price I could have gotten 3 3802's instead of one 4802, but I'd rather have my one 4802.
I did not have a chance to do A/B comparisons with the Onkyo, but I did do A/B with the 3802 and the 4802...
The 3802 receiver with ample power for most any setup... the 7.1 is great and the 2 channel music is great, but not as good as the 4802. Just to give you an idea on power handling, here is my current setup...
Room 14x23 open loft with sloping ceilings
Receiver: Denon AVR 4802
Front L/R: Canton Ergo 90 (170 rms into 4 ohms)
Center: B&W CDM CNT (50 - 120W into 8 ohms)
Surrounds: B&W CDM SNT (50 - 120W into 8 ohms)
Surround Backs: B&W DM 302 (forget the specs)
Sub: Advent AV550s
this system has handled beautifully every movie that I've thrown at it... in fact every mutlichannel recording that I've thrown at it...
Strong Points:
build quality (take the top off and the 4802 looks like the 5800 minus 16 pounds)
clean back panel layout
50 mhz component video switching (3802 has 27mhz)
assignable digital inputs
THX EX and DTS ES
autodetection of signal and mode works like a charm
Weak Points:
manual sucks, but the receiver is not really difficult to set up, just don't expect to plug and play.
remote not as cool as it looks
I could give you my opinion of how this receiver sounds, but I'd have to use superlatives like great, awesome, rad, gnarly, refined, etc etc etc...
My only real side by side comparisons before buying this unit were with the Yamahas, Pioneers, Rotels, and B&K's... I must admit the B&K sounded more accurate but I didn't want to spend more than I spent on the 4802... The Rotel didn't have the latest software/firmware and just didn't appeal to me... The Yamaha sounded so processed and mechanical... and the Pioneer was warmer and had a pleasant sound, but just wasn't as dynamic... the sound stage seemed much narrower and shallow when compared to the Denon...
Grab 2 of your favorite movies and 2 of your favorite cds then go to every dealer until you've done some real critical listening on the units in question... lets your ears make the final decision.
------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
JKB

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Great write-up, JohnnyN!
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michael Lee,
I am think to get a 3802 instead of 4802 and spend the diff on a amp. The specs execpt for the internal amplification and the THX certification(which I don't care right now) looks the same. What is your opinion?
Thanks for a reply in advance.
Shanthi

this might help you with your decision I have placed an order with circuit city for the onkyo txds-898 and it was $999 so I hope that this will help you.

Randy G

Second Unit
If you wish, I can get you 25% off of list for all Denon receivers from an authorized B&M dealer. Full support and warranty included, and NOT "B" stock. If interested, contact me at [email protected]
Regards,
Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks