What's new

Denon AVR - 3801 any good? First time buyer :-) (1 Viewer)

DannyS

Second Unit
I'm looking for my first Amp. Can the Denon AVR 3801 produce Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES ? Or am I simply confusing things. I have seen this called a receiver and an amp. Just what the hell is it and what can it do for someone who just has a dvd player? I'd appreciate some advice. :)

Steve_D

Second Unit
It's an A/V receiver. That means it has amps, a pre-amp, processing, video switching.
Hook your DVD up to it through the digital audio connection. Hook 5 speakers and a subwoofer up to it. Viola, instant home theater. It will decode DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby pro-logic, PCM, and flavors of each.
Yes, its a very recommended receiver. You might want to buy the newly released Denon 3802 if you want Dolby Pro-Logic 2 and a little more power.
------------------
Link Removed

Graham Perks

Second Unit
You will also need to hook up a TV with some video leads :)
An amplifier amplifies sound and the output is connected to the speakers.
A "preamp" is able to switch between sources, e.g. you choose what will be playing, a DVD player, VCR, CD player. When it knows what you are listening to/watching, it will process or pass through the signal from the chosen device (e.g decode Dolby Digital). The signal is sent to the amplifier to be sent to the speakers.
A receiver is a preamp and an amplifier all in one unit.
The switching applies to video and audio. You plug all your many inputs into the receiver - DVD player, CD, VCR, satellite, whatever. The receiver will switch between them, so there is only ONE set of outputs. The outputs you hook up to your TV and speakers.
The Denon 3801 should be an excellent choice.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
quote: A receiver is a preamp and an amplifier all in one unit.[/quote]
Actually this would be an integrated amp. A receiver also includes a tuner built in.
The Denon 3801 should be an excellent choice
But to not confuse the issue anymore, I would have to agree wholeheartedly.
Rich
------------------
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website
[Edited last by Richard Travale on July 28, 2001 at 05:46 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks