What's new

Denon AVR 3300 Owners......... (1 Viewer)

Shane G

Agent
If you have had the fan whine problem, and had it fixed. Please tell what you did.

My receiver finally started to develope the whine problem after a couple of years of use. I would like to fix it at home, with out having to ship it out, as I live in an isolated location. But, if I have to send it I will.

I do have an auxilary fan that I set on top of the unit when I am playing it loud, but it is quite noisy and unacceptable at low volumes.

Any help on how to cure this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I have the same problem, but I'm not sure if the fan is that loud, or just the fact that it turns on and off that bugs me. I ordered one at ~ 40.00 w/Shipping, a worthwhile experiment.

Thanks for the link !

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard mine, so either-
a. it's working as advertised.
b. it isn't working at all, and never has.:D
It's only supposed to rev up during loud passages, according to the old white paper .pdf on the 3300.
Todd

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Any links to a third-party fan that the 3300 will accomodate ? I tried searching for various Rotron dealers that referenced the 3300, but came up empty.

Todd - mine occasionally comes on during low passages, but does not appear shrill. I temporarily placed a PC muffin fan behind the unit and the noise was about the same, so I don't think I'm experiencing the pervasive problem of the early units. Strange how some people never hear anything, and I hear it frequently. Hopefully with the new fan, I will never hear it again !

Shane G

Agent
Todd;
Thanks for the link, I'll have to give 'em a try.

Kirk;
If you have ordered your fan let me know how the install went. I'm going to be busy for the next month or so, so I might not get around to ordering a new fan right away and installing it.
I can hear my fan kick in and out on warm evenings, it is a gentle wine that almost sounds like a siren as it winds up and down.

Richard;
Any links to the Rotron company? Or someone else in Canada that would supply a good replacement fan.

Shane G

Agent
Well, I was heading out of town and made arrangements to get my receiver fixed at a Denon approved repair shop. As it turned out I got the reciever fixed for free, they even covered most of the shipping to get it back home. Denon covered it all under their warranty!
Although it was a hassle being without my receiver for a few weeks (ordering problems delayed things), it is a comforting feeling knowing I won't be plagued with that minor fan problem.
I would recommend looking into getting this job fixed at a repair shop even if your warrenty has expired. As Denon will likely still repair it, if you were the original buyer.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks Shane - I received the fan, opened the receiver, took off a few brackets and realized it's almost impossible to access the installed fan without special tools (similar to a new car !)

I may have to approach Denon for the fix, though it really isn't that bad. As a previous poster said, if it would just stay on, I would never notice it.

Shane G

Agent
Kirk;

At first, I talked to the repair shop about ordering me in a fan, hoping I good fix it myself. He said "try it first, I think its a little more complicated than that, anyways Denon should fix it under warranty, if you still have the receipt".
So I too, tried to take the receiver apart myself, and didn't get very far. Hence the trip to the shop.
Talk to a local Denon repair shop, explain that it was a common problem with the receiver, a factory defect, and get them to check with Denon for a repair kit. I think Denon actually sent out a repair bulletin for the fan! I have the number at home, if you require it.
Good luck.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks