What's new

Denon AVR 1801 Shutting down on Bass heavy scenes? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
OK - this is actually for a friend that is having a problem with his Denon 1801. I have the 3802 and haven't seen this problem.
He was watching Charlies Angels this weekend, and he said there is a scene in an airplane, and it hits some turbulence and has a lot of bass. With his volume set to -25, it plays it fine. But if he turns the volume to -15, the receiver shuts off every time on this scene. No protection message, it just shuts off.
He has Polk Audio Bookshelfs (RT25 I believe) all the way around with the matching center channel. These speakers aren't inneficient (I think they are average), and don't require a ton of power to play. He has a Polk sub (12" version - PSW 450 I think).
He said he is pretty sure that all the speakers are set to small and I don't think he has adjusted any of the levels (all at trim 0, and not at something like +12).
It only happens in Dobly Digital mode. If he puts it in pro logic mode, it doesn't shut down at any volume.
My thoughts are that it could be a short in a speaker wire some where. He is using bare wire to the posts, so I told him to check and make sure no pieces of wire are touching.
Could it also be that this receiver can't put out that kind of power even at -15? My 3802 can go up to +18, the loudest I have had it is at -3, and no problems there. I would think the 1801 could put out that kind of power at -15 without any problems (maybe some distortion) and not shut down.
The last thing is this could be just a bad receiver. He bought it at Ultimate Electronics, and it was an open box, but the sales guy said it was only open box because someone opened it there at the store to look at it. It supposedly never left the store and was never used before. It was there last one, so he got a really good price on it.
So can anyone with an 1801 let me know if you have had any problems at this volume? How loud have you played it with no problems?
I may have to go over and check out the setup to verify, but wanted to ask people here with a similiar setup if they have had any problems.
------------------
Thanks,
Bryan
"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"
Mistubishi 60" RPTV (VS60603)
Denon AVR 3802 RCVR
Denon DVM 1800 DVD
JVC 3600U SVHS VCR
RCA DirecTV
Klipsch RB5 - L&R
Klipsch RC3 - Center
Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall surrounds
Klipsch KSW12 - Sub (Hopefully an RSW12 whenever they come out!)
Monster Power Conditioner
Radio Shack Gold Series Interconnects
Radio Shack 12 AWG Mega Cable

Tor Arne

Stunt Coordinator
If the reciever isn't getting enough cooling it will shut down. If it's running constantly hot raising the volume would trigger the temperature protection.
He should have at least 2" of air around the reciever to give proper cooling. The manual probably states at least 4" but that's kinda difficult to achieve. :)
The reason DD cuts and not DPL is that DD sends full-range signals to all channels while DPL cuts the highs and lows (don't remember at what frequencies) thus putting a lighter load on the amp. This is my theory on why this happends in DD only. :)
Regards,
Tor Arne Hustvedt.
------------------
Picture of my setup so far:
http://tahustvedt.homestead.com/files/stereo01.jpg

Steve T

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan,
I have never had problems with my 1801 at volumes up to -8, (haven't gone any louder than this) even with Dolby Digital material. The unit does not get very hot, so unless he has no room for ventilation I doubt the problem is heat. With all speakers set to small and the sub doing all the bass work, I don't understand what would be causing this. I doubt it is a wiring short. If the power supply is unable to provide power for this scene with all speakers set to small I would say the unit is defective.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Could be a defective unit. I have watched the movie with my 1801 several times and never had this problem.
Kevin

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Thanks guys for the info. He went home last night and checked the connections, and sure enough there was a short back there. When he had slid the receiver back in, some of the wires crossed and because of the close connections, were shorted out. He played the same scene again with absolutely no problem.
Thanks anyway!
Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks