What's new

Denon 5803 vs. Pioneer 49TX (1 Viewer)

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare these two receivers? I'm getting ready to upgrade from a Denon 5700, and I want to make sure I make the right decision. The Pioneer is an attractive choice as it can be found on-line for about $500 less than the Denon. On the other hand, I have been very happy with my 5700, so choosing the 5803 also seems logical. I will be using this receiver with Atlantic Technology System 350 speakers and a Panasonic RP91 DVD player. Thanks.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Their are a number of things on the 5803 that the 5800 upgrade does not have. I have to look up the info.

David Judah

Screenwriter
There are 4 things, Chip, that the 5803 will have that the upgraded 5800 won't:

1. New pre-amp design with .5db increments in the volume control

2. Video upconversion

3. 100 MHz component bandwidth

4. 12 volt remote trigger

DJ

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I have both a 5803 and an upgraded 5800. They are sonically very similar, but I am still trying to discover some of the differences feature-wise. David lists the ones that I know. The one thing I have not found yet on the upgraded 5800 is the control you have over the external ins. On the 5803 you can engage DSP or just have a bass boost of up to 15 db. I have not been able to do this on the 5800, but i cannot say for certain that it is not there.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
The 5803 is definitely the better choice right now.

1. You will get a lot of control over bass management for both SACD and DVD-a (5803 has 2 ext. ins w/full b.m.) if these formats interest you.

2. Pure Direct - all video circuits are turned off, including the unit display...great for music only listening.

and everyone else touched on this ... 3. Video Up-Conversion - all your video connections can hook into this unit and then just have one cable run from the 5803 to your monitor.

Plus it has the latest chips, DAC's, etc...

Eric.

Thanks for everyone's input. Rajee, I notice that you use an external amp with your 49TX. Do you find the internal Pioneer amps weak or unacceptable? Purchasing an external amp with my new receiver will not be possible at this time, so I'm wondering if the Pioneer is a little under powered?

RajeeK

Second Unit
Thanks for everyone's input. Rajee, I notice that you use an external amp with your 49TX. Do you find the internal Pioneer amps weak or unacceptable? Purchasing an external amp with my new receiver will not be possible at this time, so I'm wondering if the Pioneer is a little under powered?
No, not at all. I got a good deal on the amp so I picked it up. I never had any problems with the power of the 49TX on my system. I think it sounds wonderful, and obviously would be my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks