Should I upgrade from Yamaha RX-V2095 to Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX/47TX?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent M, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Hello,

I am currently using a Yamaha RX-V2095 to run my HT set-up. I've had this unit for a couple of years now and I have no complaints about it whatsoever. I'm getting the itch to upgrade, however, and the Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX/47TX receivers are my top candidates for a replacement unit. I had given some thought to the Denon AVR-5803, but from everything I've read the 49TX is its' equal or superior in every way at a lesser price and the 47TX is not too far behind. I had also thought about the Yamaha RX-Z1, but I can get a better price on the Elite units and they are THX Ultra 2 certified and have more features than the Yamaha. So, my question is this--should I take the plunge and upgrade to one of the Elite units over my 2095? I don't consider myself a home theater expert or certified audiophile, but I do have a pretty good ability to judge what sounds good and what does not. Over the past couple of years, I've thoroughly enjoyed the HT experience my 2095 provides and I just want to make sure that the 49/47TX will meet or exceed my expectations. Has anyone in here changed from a Yamaha 2095 to a Pioneer Elite and if so, what are your opinions on upgrading? Also, I'm thinking about buying another sub(a B&W ASW-600)when I upgrade receivers and I was just wondering if anyone here is using dual subs with an Elite unit. If so, what are your opinions of two subs vs. one? I would really appreciate your opinions and comments as it will help me to decide what to do next. Thanks.

2. Danny-H

Danny-H Auditioning

besides the new formats/flexability etc..the new Pioneer Elites sound in my opnion alot better then the Yamaha's.The rxv2095 was a nice peice then.Yamaha doesn't go the THX route for who knows what reason......

I think if you want a bang for your buck Id really consider the vsx47tx.It has the same amp section but looses some features like video upconverting and inputs.

I have alot of experience with all the above receivers.Pioneer Elite got my vote completely.

Do you have B&W speakers as well???

2 sub's vs 1???well thats a good question.I perfer 1 sub.2 makes things harder to setup but can smooth out performance.

The B&W asw600 is a nice sounding sub.I put in many of them.I like the new B&W subs very musical.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

While I cannot make comparisons to your Yamaha receiver, I really like my Pioneer 47TX. I previously owned a Sony 50ES receiver, and the Pioneer is a noticable improvement over that outdated, but solid, receiver. There is more clarity in the overall sound -- especially in the center channel. Also, the MCACC auto-calibration system works very well, and helped smooth out some of the room acoustic problems I was experiencing. The Pioneer also works well with my B&W 600 Series speakers, providing ample power to the 604 towers.