What's new

Denon 4802 and base management question? (1 Viewer)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
When I select "Large" for my mains and "yes" for the subwoofer it appears that My mains are not receiving the LFE information. I unplugged my subwoofer and experimented by selecting "no" for the subwoofer and my mains then started receiving more base. The only other selection in the setup menu is for the subwoofer...which is LFE-THX...or LFE+main. I think that the LFE+Main is adding the main base info to the sub and not the other way around. Is ther no way to send the LFE to both the speakers selected to Large and the sub?

Mike Sloan

Danny-H

Auditioning
Why do you want to recreate the bass 2x's???
Let the sub do most of the work and allow your mains to sound cleaner and less pushed.

The Denon avr4802 is a good piece.

Zacha R

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

The receiver isn't MEANT to send bass information from the fronts to the sub if the fronts are set to LARGE. That's the point of the bass management - setting them to small with the sub set to on (LFE-THX on the 4802) would redirect it.

However, that said, Denon receivers let you get around this with the LFE + MAIN setting. This duplicates the bass from any speakers set to LARGE (i.e., in this case, the fronts) and sends it to the sub-woofer as well. This would achieve the effect (that I assume you're looking for, rather than just expecting). There can be issues with this because of the way that bass soundwaves interact with each other.
I'm afraid I can't help you with exactly HOW they interact - but I understand that it more often than not reduces the amount of bass that you get in practise. My best guess on one front is that the two subs (or Front Speakers + sub) become out of phase with each other and cancel each other out.

Good luck, & all.

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the only way to get LFE information to the mains on any 5.1 equipment is to set the subwoofer "off". Why do you want to send LFE information to the mains?
BASS is the correct spelling.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Thanks for all the great info! I probably don't want the mains to play the the LFE I just wanted to try and see what happened. I have both the Denon 5803 and the 4802(borrowed) and it appears that both receivers will not send the LFE signal to the mains even when selected to large. I guess I was incorrect in assuming that when a speaker was selected to large...that it would receive all low frequency info including the LFE. I have a call into DENON to hash this out.

Mike

Zacha R

Stunt Coordinator
James is right. The only way to have the LFE sent to the mains is to set the subwoofer to 'no' and the mains to 'large'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks