What's new

Denon 3802 with separate amp(s)? (1 Viewer)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I've read posts here from people who swear by separate amps along with a regular receiver. My local dealer only had an Onkyo 282 amp (two channel, 120 watts per channel) that I could demo.

I took it home and haven't been impressed with it. I think I prefer the sound of my receiver's amp, rated at 110 watts per channel.

Maybe I just need to buy a better amp to hear more of a difference? Problem is, I don't want to spend more than say, $500.

I have two questions.

One: Do you think I could improve upon the sound of my 3802 with a separate amp for one or more channels, costing around $500?

Two: I've heard that going to a separate amp for one or more channels helps lesson the load on the receiver for the remaining channels. Is this true? If it is true, doesn't it imply that I will somehow be lessoning the sound quality by adding more speakers, such as in a 6.1 or 7.1 setup, because they will be making my receiver work harder? Or does the receiver simply put out a given amount of wattage per channel?

Any input appreciated.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I am not familiar with the amp you mentioned, but IMO the sound you get with the new amp has A LOT to do with the interconnects used.

Salvador

Second Unit
i'm also interested about peoples' opinions about a denon 3802, separate amp combo. I have studio 20's and i really want to know if its worth getting an amp.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I've got my Denon 3802 mated with an Odyssey Stratos stereo amp and I have been extremely pleased with the sound of my system. Of course, it would sound a lot better if I was using a dedicated processor instead of the 3802, but that's not a monetary option right now. It seems to me, that by using the Stratos to power my floor standing fronts, there is more headroom because my receiver is not working half a hard now...it's only got the center and surrounds to contend with and, as we all know, there's not that much information coming out of the surrounds channels.
You may want to try some Marantz monoblocks:
http://www.marantz.com/hifi/america/index.html
A couple of buddies of mine use them and have had great-sounding results. I believe they're in the neighborhood of $150 a piece (but don't quote me on that), so you can take the modular approach if you don't want to spend a bunch of money right now. $500 would most likely take care of your fronts and center and I'm sure would make a significant difference in the sound our your system. Try eBay for good prices on the monoblocks...
Good luck!

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
i have a 3802 w/a denon poa 5200 2 ch. and it sounds awesome. I seem to have power for days and much more depth than just running the reciever it self. I used jpslabs ultraconductor interconnects that are very good btw.

a 5200 can be bought for about 450 on ebay.

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
I have my 3802 combined with a Citation 22 amp for the L&R and an Acurus 200x5 for the rest. I just recently hooked the speaker back into the receiver just to do an A/B and it was no contest. The amps provided much cleaner, deeper, more rich sounds than the Denon internal amps. I am using Diva 6.1's, C3, R3 and 2.1's for the rear. In addition, I can now go much louder without any distortion.

Dan

Sebastien David

Second Unit
I'm also hesitating between the 3802 and 4802.

i have a question (several, rather):

is it really warranted to use a separate amp for the rear channels given that:

A) there is not much critical sound info going out of there, just ambience (which even Bose can reproduce) and the odd quick effect, and

B) using separate amps for the front leaves more headroom to the receiver's amp for the rear channels?

my guess is no.

it seems to be a different matter entirely for the center channel, but again and mostly because of B), and because critical listening is mostly done in stereo (music), could it be a liveable situation to use, say, a POA5200 for the left & right, and use the 3802 to power the rest of the speakers?

or even, and my "pseudo-EX" setup made me think of that, to use a cheap receiver rescued from some closet for 2 or 4 of the rear speakers, and the 3802 to power the center?

now, throw into the equation that one is using very sensitive speakers (i.e. Klipsch RF-7) for the front soundstage... what now?

decisions, decisions...

I'd be very thankful if any of you could bring a definite answer to this situation.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
thanks Mark...
first off, my name is Sébastien, my family name is David.
don't worry, at least half the anglophones I meet make that mistake! :)
i kind of knew that what I was stating was true.
guess i didn't express myself too well.
i was trying to say that given A) and B), would using the 3802 to power the center AND surrounds be a viable solution, and secondly, would using an old reciever as secondary amp to power the rears, therefore further reducing the load on the 3802, giving it more headroom for the front channel, be an even better solution?
I guess that, condensed, the above could read: am I only after power, or do I have to overly worry about QUALITY of power to the center and surrounds, given that most critical listening is made in setero (music)?
I've seen a lot of people on this forum in the same predicament, and I'd really like to have a better grounded answer to give a reference response to anybody asking the same kindof question... so it would be nice if everyone here would put their heads together!!

David Ki

Agent
thanks Mark...

first off, my name is Sébastien, my family name is David.

don't worry, at least half the anglophones I meet make that mistake!

FYI, there are many Americans who call peope only by their last name. I would kill for soemone to call me David, its a studly name.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Can you have too many watts for the speakers you are driving? The specs on my speakers say they are rated for 25w to 100w...so if I power them with a 200w amp do I help or hurt them?

For my room it seems as though my 3802 easily drives my 7 speakers at loud volumes. Am I missing something?

I can see the argument w/ the SVS subs. I understand that if the Sub can handle 500w & you only feed it 200w you'd be missing out.

So...doesn't the amp needs depend on your speakers?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I have 8 monoblocks[Parasound] with my 3801 and yes it is quiet a difference.While yes the rears rearly need much power my subjective findings were positive when I added the amps to those channels.The surrounds are more of a "standouts" now in a good sense,then before.

If you wanna add amps I would start with the front 3 ones,and as you have more money later,you could pick up for the rears as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks