Denon 3802 and Separate AMPs: when needed?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnDG, Dec 26, 2003.

1. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

Over the last couple of years I've seen a number of references to adding separate AMPs for the fronts paired with a Denon 3802/3803 to get better performance out of the larger front speakers. This included some setups with Paradigm Monitor 7s, which is what I have.

Running 2-channel stereo (only the fronts are on) with a powered sub, I would think that the 3802 would have plenty of power when driving only 2 speakers. This would be especially true when also using a powered sub to off-load the lower. power hungry frequencies.

Any comments on improvements in sound driving only the fronts?

jdg

2. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

I dont think you'll notice a huge improvement if you're only running fronts - especially fronts run on SMALL. Most people when they speak of adding a seperate amp to their receiver want to use the amp for their front channels while reusing the receiver's amp section for their surround channels. If you're not running any surround channels to begin with, I doubt you're taxing the receiver too much. It's when all channels are driven simultaneously that really strains receivers.

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I've been running the last 3 Denon receivers I've owned into 5 channel amps.

When I first went this route, it was mostly to go up in power to allow greater freedom from potential clipping damage (which can occur when amps run out of gas and sent out loud, distorted high frequency spikes. Clipping can damage a tweeter in just a few seconds.) Lower powered amps will clip before higher powered ones. Plus, I knew that separate amps are more efficiently cooled, so I knew my receiver would be in excellent condition when trade-in (or resale) time came. (I change receivers around every couple of years or so.)

Many users who move from just receivers to receivers with separate amps hear big sonic changes. I really didn't hear anything that jumped out at me. But there was no doubt in my mind that my setup receives more, cleaner power with the extra amp.

You may be able to hear more of a difference than I could. But whether you do or you don't, running a separate, quality amp certainly won't hurt anything...