What's new

Denon 1803 ownser, need ur help (1 Viewer)

darren_b

Grip
Just bought me a Denon 1803....very happy.. Theres so many setting and so forth, which leads me to a few questions.

1. To get good loud sound i have to put the volume up to -27 db (ranges from - 70 to + 16 db)Is this normal? I'm using 6 Ohms Jamo X series speakers

2. Is it a good idea to adjust the sound level of each speaker, say to, + 5db, or leave it at default 0bd (what do most of u do)If i do this, it's abit louder.

3. Do speaker cables make a huge difference in loudness?

4. Do you guys turn the Tone Defeat ON or OFF when listening to dvd's? Sounds less bright when off, to me anyway, but the manual says if u turn it ON for a higher quality sound!!!

5. (LAST ONE!!!!)
Setting the Subwoofer mode, Is it better to have it on NORM or MAIN. My front and centre speakers can handle 20 hz - 20000khz)

Thanks heaps in advance to replies.

Frustrated but happy owner

:)

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
1. Yes, most of my listening occurs at -25 to +05.

2. If you calibrate your speakers properly using an AVIA/VE disc it really doesn't matter what 'number' the speakers are set to. For sake of simplicity I have all mine calibrated to 0, I tinkered with the volume control to obtain 85dB with AVIA test tones, and then adjusted up or down accordingly.

3. I'm no expert in this area, but I do know you don't want to have junky stuff. As long as the gauge is relatively thick I would think you wouldn't degrade the signal.

4. I haven't played around with the Tone Defeat at all. The manual says to leave on eh? Intuition says that when I want the loudest, clearest sound I don't want to enable a feature called "Tone Defeat". I'll have to check it out.

5. It depends if you like to run your fronts in full range or not. It seems that those speakers could certainly handle it. If you do set your mains to 'large' you will be able to select the 'main' in which all LFE material will be sent to the speakers set to Large AND the subwoofer simultaneously, if Norm is selected then only the speakers set to Large will receive the LFE signals. If I were you I would try out all the settings and see what sounds the best. Neat feature...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've never been a fan of tone controls, preferring to send a flat signal to the speakers. So, I'd enable the Tone Defeat.

(Much of the high-end, two-channel electronics I've owned didn't even have tone controls.)

Darrenn,

All the tone defeat does when ON is NOT allow you to adjust the bass and treble. It supposedly produces higher quality sound because none of the audio goes through bass/treble proccessing. So unless you want more/less bass/treble, I would leave Tone Defeat ON.

I agree, both music and movies sound better when it is on.

darren_b

Grip
Thanks guys for your help, i suppose it takes awhile to play around with it....much more settings etc. than my old Pioneer 409.

In some dvd's i had'nt heard sertain sounds before. The Pioneer was good for LOUD sound, but compared to the Denon, i hear all these amazing sounds in movie si didnt know existed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael Slayer
Recent bookmarks