What's new

demoed PLVZ1 .... SOLD!!! (1 Viewer)

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
I work for an A/V dealer/installer. But unfortunately only sell 3 projectors Yamahas lpx500 and dpx1000 and the sharp xvz10000u. I may eventually get the LPX500.(even at my cost they are still out of my price range right now.)

But I went to see the PLVZ1 at projectus (who were great by the way) armed with Minority Report, A.I., Jurassic Park 3,Lord of the rings, and Ice Age. Minority Report and A.I. black levels and Ice Age for screendoor.

But Im in a hurry so ill keep it as short as possible

Im pretty much sold it handled these dvds pretty well and at sizes varying from 85 - 100 inches at viewig distances of 8-15 feet.

The actual unit was larger and built better than i thought it was going to be. they just had a cheap interlaced player hooked up to it via component but it still looked pretty damn good.

Good color saturation as you would expect from LCD as displayed by Gimlis close up face shot right when he faces balins tomb. I think the Black levels were a lot better than I expected as seen in the bike forest chase scene in A.I. PLVZ1 did handled all but the very very deepest details in that scene. (ones you probably wouldnt even pay real attention to if enjoying the movie.)
The screen door test was done on all movies ... especially Ice age. Just barely a touch of defocus got rid of it without softening of the picture. I like using that test on Gandalfs hair in balins tomb when hes reading the book. and in most close face shots. Or Ice Age's bright scenes. I tested some scenes on very good demos Like ATOC. But I wanted to serve it the hardest ones first. I thought 1.5X screen width wouldve been too close But I thought it handled well. 2x time screen width from a 8 foot widescreen
will give you a sharp clean immersive FILMLIKE image. That definately rivals any commercial venue. I tried the ptl300u panny and it looked comparable, didnt justify 400 bucks for it or my extra patience for saving up for it. Im upgrading in 1-2 years anyway.

All tests were first impressions from an uncalibrated PLVZ1 and Panny PTL300U out of the box. Fed with an interlaced dvd player. The projectors I do have most experiences with were the three I stated earlier up above.

Im gonna be stoned to death for saying this here but, unless its a 4x or up colorwheel on a dlp, full motion vieo sucks. I never was able to convince myself that the rainbows were not there. My content changes so damn much.
I can only watch Toy Story or Monsters Inc. so much. LCD was so much more comfortable to watch it was like putting a warm blanket in front of my eyes. It has a classic film like appearance to it. I enjoy my movies most with others and a lot of my friends are in the industry and I would hate for them to walk out of the room or complain during a movie. I dont think rainbows are a matter of seeing them or not I think its an inevitable.

I was rambling for a little bit there and sorry for the sentence structure. But all in all im buying this thing. great value.Great Warranty. Ill update my website with the new gear and projector as soon as it all comes together. I am oh so very excited.

MOVING TO THE BIG LEAGUES WITH A LITTLE LEAGUE PRICE YEAHOO!!!:D

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
The Z1 for a little above $1000 seems to me to be the best projector out there for the beginner. I am pro-DLP and believe rainbow gets blown out of proportion but the Z1 has a better pixel count/aspect ratio for today's media.

The only thing that bothers me about the Z1 is the question mark surrounding the bulb life. This has never been satisfactorily answered by Sanyo or anyone!

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Robert...prices for a new bulb can be had for around $200...and if you can get say 2,000 hours on the bulb (and that's conservative)...that's an average of about 1,000 movies...that's 83 movies a month...and I don't think anyone watches THAT many! The long and the short of it is...I think most will probably feel the bug to upgrade their projector before their lamb even dies! :D So another $200 investment down the road for another 1,000 movies is pretty good to me. That's a lot of stinkin' movies man...bulb life is no worry to me.

E

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
anyone know if these are available in B-stock from anywhere?
my search turned up negative...

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
Robert...prices for a new bulb can be had for around $200...and if you can get say 2,000 hours on the bulb (and that's conservative)...that's an average of about 1,000 movies...that's 83 movies a month...and I don't think anyone watches THAT many! The long and the short of it is...I think most will probably feel the bug to upgrade their projector before their lamb even dies! So another $200 investment down the road for another 1,000 movies is pretty good to me. That's a lot of stinkin' movies man...bulb life is no worry to me.
Very nice job on the theater (and the website) Erik.

2000 hours on the bulb should be very satisfactory for everybody. I have read, though, that the Z1 has a 1000 limit internal setting (the bulb is shut off, and the timer needs to be reset). Is this true? Can any z1 owners confirm this?

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Thanks Robert! I've read that too about the timer too...I'm going to call my rep and ask them about. I'll report what I find. :D

E

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Nothing to confirm this yet...and the manual states that the timer should ONLY be reset when replacing the lamp! FYI....

E

Ton_A

Auditioning
Mark and Erik....What are you planning on doing for a screen? I am planning on getting the Z1 provided I can get or build a screen fro less than 300 that will do the little Z justice.

Tony

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
I have decided on making a DIY manually retractable screen, with velcro attached masking.I can get a DA-LITE screen at cost but maybe I can make a really good quality one for cheap.

I have a dilemna as I have vaulted ceilings, and have replaced my 47 inch Panasonic with a 32 inch TV for regular viewing (gave 47 inch to pops). So I need to make an aesthetically pleasing retractable screen.

I also need as light as possible a screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks