JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku in bikinis. Now THAT'S entertainment.

BTW, I cracked up to the Chick Flick / Guy Movie analysis.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
this is a question for the men. will you watch a movie if you found out that it was on lifetime "televison for women"

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Frankly I find all this "outrage" about labels fairly pretentious. HTF participants ARE atypical, both in taste and ability/willingness to examine why they like movies and the movies themselves, and so our reactions to such labels and what we look for in movies is a bit different than Joe/Jane Six Pack.
"Chick flicks" and "guy flicks" most certainly do exist, in both good and bad forms.
Movies like the following are without a doubt Chick Flicks:
--Stepmom
--Beaches
--Steel Magnolias
--Autumn in New York
Why can I say without a doubt? Because they were marketed at a certain audience -- WOMEN. Women, in general moviegoing terms, prefer relationship- and emotion-based stories. Many -- most? -- don't care if the story is "original" or if the cinematography kicks ass. They want to FEEL the love and stuff like that. I would be willing to bet that majority of people who rent and/or buy these movies are women.
Now before someone flies off the handle and asks me what Medieval century I've time-traveled from,please note that I am generalizing. We could (and perhaps should?) very easily be making some great jokes at men's tastes in movies.
I mean, how many HTF members own movies that truly suck but have them to as "reference material"? I can guarantee very, very few of those reference titles and/or scenes involve people simply talking and emoting. :laugh:
Please note that while I have a passionate hatred for demeaning individuals and devaluing people based on gender or race, I also am passionate about the silliness of refusing to recognize the overall differences between men and women, which DOES include/touch on tastes in movies! Of course anomalies exist as far as individual taste exist, as do many fine movies that may appear to be typical chick flicks but really are not (e.g., "Anna and the King").
It just seems silly to say that some movies don't, in general, appeal more to one gender than another. That by itself does NOT mean one gender is better/worse than the other, or that certain kinds of movies are inherently sucky.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
plus, i am not complaining but aparently lifetime thinks that goodfellas is a chick flick since it is on there station but i will still watch it since it is an all time favorite of mine but i know there are some people out there who will not watch this network no matter what is on it.,

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The term 'chick flick' might be applied in cases where it can be proven that the marketing department, or perhaps the committee that scripted the film, was aiming for an overwhelmingly female audience. The problem of course being that said-referenced marketing/pr committees are often comprised of men who feel that by including a long slow death (or some other dramatic manipulation) it's somehow more affecting to women.
Not to mention that even though 'chick flicks' are said to include male characters who are shallow, stupid, vapid, or window dressing -- many films in general treat women with the same contempt, but we are used to it so it goes mostly unnoticed.
Speaking as a man who shamelessly cries at certain movies, all I ask is: give me a good script and a good movie in general, I don't care who you're marketing it to. :)
Joseph

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
i cant cry durring titanic because i wanted leo to die really badly anyway
. Plus the men are also wife or child abusers also in those movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks