What's new

Defective SD DVDs - Are they still common? (1 Viewer)

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
I have had a couple TV shows with pixelating episodes, but I honestly can't remember the last movie DVD I had to exchange because of pixelation or freezing/skipping trouble.

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased a "bad" disc recently and how often you are running into defective DVDs. Which studio is the worst for "bad" product?

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I'm surprised that more people don't comment or complain about this issue, as I have had continual, if not commonplace problems with defective disks myself.

The most frequent problem studios for me are WB, Universal (and not just the DVD-18's), Media Blasters, and HBO. I've had to exchange or replace about a dozen or so WB disks over the last couple of years which had pixel breakup problems. And I've had a frustrating problem with several of the Everybody Loves Raymond sets (HBO), with pixel breakup on several eps, as well as two disks that make a loud whirring noise when played.

I guess it's reasonable to assume that a certain percentage of disks are going to have errant manufacturing defects. And I do have a pretty large collection, so by default I suppose I would encounter a larger number of defective disks than the average person. I also suspect that some of the problems may be exacerbated by my main player, which seems to be overly sensitive to some defects. Still it is one of the more annoying things about DVD that the medium itself is so hypersensitive to even minute manufacturing flaws.

I would guess that minor or transient pixel breakup/freeze issues occur more often than is discussed, simply because a lot of people may not care if there are one or two brief occurrences when they watch the disk. It does actually bother me quite a bit though, so I replace (or will eventually replace) all of the faulty disks I encounter, even if there is only a single minor defect in playback.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the biggest offender (and the discs that you want to check as soon as you buy them) are Universal titles that are on DVD-18s. If I remember correctly, the Dune SE was the last one with widespread problems.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
My most recent were multiple discs in my Northern Exposure sets.
I will never buy another Universal DVD-18 ever.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Early on I had to exchange several bad discs, everything from old and new films, to TV shows.

I don't think I've exchanged anything for a few years.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Funny you should ask. I had to return my V for Vendetta on Saturday because it started skipping about halfway through. The disc was clean, the player is used for loads of other movies. The new version works just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks