What's new

Dawn of the Dead Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Dawn of the Dead is The.Greatest.Zombie.Film.Of.All.Time.
This is the Zulu of Zombie flicks (whatever that means), Night of the Living Dead was just a picnic compared to this baby.:D

Michael*K

Screenwriter
For a real Zombie feel, try Fulci's Zombie. Now that's how zombies are suppose to look like!
You mean like this beauty?
c_zombie.jpg

Tom Savini, eat your heart out. :D

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Awww, c'mon Zombie was a mess! Fulci, like all Italian horror maestros, seems WAY too into the gore aspects of the film at the expense of the plot which seems largely irrelevant to them. It's not about the explicit eye popping or intestine exposure for me, it's the IDEA of the zombies blindly taking over and the human fight for survival. Without the subtext, the films have little impact.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
Dawn of The Dead ROCKS THE HOUSE!!!!

My mom got me this movie for Christmas 98 and I've fell in love with this movie right away.

Things that stick out

1. The mall music

2. Rednecks

3.The scene where they kill all of the zombies in the mall and they look at what they have done.

4. The zombie posing as a mannequin.

5. Sliding down the escalator.

6. Come on fly boy!

7. The music where they load up their guns at the gun shop.

8. And it's all about the rifle zombie, sticking that gun against it's head and walking in and out of the mall.

James Z

Grip
To get in on this Fulci tangent a little, I've seen 2 Fulci films, The Beyond and Zombie, and both of them are basically a series of set-ups for very detailed and gory scenes. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that but because of it, I don't really see Fulci's work as comparable to Romero's since in the latter's films, the gore is secondary to the plot and not the other way around. They're kind of working on different levels with clearly different end results in mind. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the same people who dig Fulci films also like Michael Bay movies, since both are almost totally about visuals.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
For a much better Fulci film see his earlier i.e. before gore = $$$ Don't Torture A Duckling.
I totally agree with you on The Beyond James, when I saw it after all the hype I was incredibly letdown and traded it pretty quick. Zombie however, I do like. There's not much of a plot, but I can appreciate it on a "zombie action film" level, though I don't like that it rips off Romero in the ending.
Actually Zombie was marketed and planned as an unofficial sequel to Dawn (one of it's titles is Zombi 2) and I think it may have even ended up making more $$.
For a much, much better zombie flick, and the only one that's approached Romero in terms of zombie subtext, you must see David Cronenberg's Shivers

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, the idea of a Dawn remake makes me want to run to an aid station! If done, I'd expect an R rating as opposed to NC-17, in the interest of marketing.

I would feel much better about a remake if Romero and/or Savini were involved. Savini did a great job with the NOTLD remake!

Incidentally, the character "Steven" (aka "Flyboy") was played by David Emge. He wasn't in Scanners. Though I understand the confusion due to the similarity of the actors.

Herm C

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, DAMN STRAIGHT!!:D Giannetto De Rossi zombies are so creepy and sets the grim tone for Fulci's Zombie.
James, can you please suggest some good visual Michael Bay films that I should check out?

StephenA

Screenwriter
I think Zombie is worth seeing just for the zombie vs shark. When I first saw that part, I laughed my ass off at it. I still find it funny. Flower Pot zombie(the zombie on the cover of Zombie) is my favorite zombie next to Bub from Day of the Dead.

Herm C

Stunt Coordinator
The zombie-shark scene is one-of-a-kind, another scene worth watching is the splinter in the eye. Fulci earned his reputation as the "godfather" of gore.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Thanks to this thread I rewatched Dawn and Day again for the first time in 10 or so years. While not technically perfect, both create a great sense of dread, like the world really is coming to an end. Unlike so many zombie/horror flicks, they left me thinking about them hours after watching them.

Tom Savini said something interesting in the making of Day, that's on the dvd. He basically said that they messed up the make-up on Dawn. That they were lame because everybody just wore gray paint.

A question for some Romero expert out there: What's the story behind the Pink Floyd "The Wall" opening in Day of the Dead? The "Helloooo... is anybody out there?!" part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks