What's new

Dark City SE (1 Viewer)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I signed it.
I love that movie. That would be awesome if all of those features turned up on the SE. The original was no slouch.
Hmmmm, "more Melissa George scenes..."
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
One of the points state "(Bit-Budget Suggestion: Drop the fullscreen Transfer)"...no thanks. So, earlier in the petition description they ask for accurate framing, then state if budget allows, to include a full screen version? Nice.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Read it again Kyle. The petitioners suggestion is to NOT include the full screen version of the movie on the new Special Edition, if it's ever produced. This would free up space on the disc for other material. The current release of "Dark City" includes both full screen and anamorphic widescreen versions of the film.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too signed it. I love this movie, seen it half a dozen times all the way through, and still can't get enough. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I do not know much about the issues involved here but I did greatly enjoy the film and if there is more footage out there and the director does want to make a director's cut that could possibly enhance this already great movie then I am all for it. Hope something comes out of this.

-Eric

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Hmm...IMDB doesn't list any alternate versions, so I would too like to know what's in this director's cut.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Any extra Dark City goodies would be greatly appreciated, but I'd also be quite curious to hear what these 'deleted scenes' are.
I was signature #185.

John Chow

Second Unit
Not to nitpick, oh what the hey, it's nitpicking, if I recall correctly, the current Dark City release is double sided, so you don't really lose any space on the disc as far as extra material is concerned. On the other hand, I'd prefer single sided discs without the full screen version 'cuz I like some cover art. I just don't particularly see this as a valid complaint/issue :p)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I, too, would like to know more about these deleted scenes. I imagine there were some, but does Proyas actually want them back in the movie? From what I read, the only thing the studio insisted on was the opening narration (and I agree the movie would be even better without it).

Does anyone know any details?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Not to nitpick, oh what the hey, it's nitpicking, if I recall correctly, the current Dark City release is double sided, so you don't really lose any space on the disc as far as extra material is concerned.
It's a DVD-10. Each side is effectively a DVD-5. Ergo we are losing an extra layer worth of space which could have been used to boost the bitrate, and/or add DTS, another commentary, an isolated score etc etc.

John Chow

Second Unit
Well, not really, since if they wanted to, they could've made it a DVD-18 if they had wanted to. I don't think adding a Full-frame version really does anything space wise. Or they could just add the extras on once side of the disc and make it some kinda weird hybrid with 2 layers on one side and 1 layer on one side. Either way, if the studios really want to include a full frame transfer, the technology should exist that enables them to do it without cutting out extras and such.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I don't get it.
Is it common knowledge that Proyas was strong armed into the current edit?
Or is this yet another case of rabid fans of a movie assuming that because the current film doesn't include every frame of film that was shot, it must not be the "director's cut?"
:confused:

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
I have no complaints with the current disc - looks/sounds good with nice extras. Great movie, though, so if they were to put a 'specialer' edition out, it wouldn't bother me in the least. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks