What's new

Daredevil Director's Cut in April (1 Viewer)

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I have no problem at all buying two sets of Daredevil since the first set, like the movie, turned out SO much better than expected. The documentaries and extras on DD are refreshingly candid and thorough. Great stuff!
I am very much looking forward to a director's cut, but it sounds like it will be significantly different with a very different storyline.
Although you guys say you are glad to hear about mainstream stuff being cut out, I am not glad to hear that the confessional scenes are being cut since that was some really good stuff there which addressed the morality of Murdock's quest, and also gave us insight into what he was feeling. I also hear they cut the sex scene between Elektra and Matt, and I wonder how they're going to accomplish the same stuff now. What happens when she says "Stay with me?" on the rooftop? How does he get the invitation? Maybe it's the same, I don't know. I just hope MSJ has really found a way to improve an already excellent film.
And I just have to say this: Daredevil kicked Spider-Man's ass on film!

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
It's about time! We've been hearing about a Director's Cut of this film for years now. I'm glad I decided to wait, and not buy the first release. To tell you the truth, I think this is the very first time I've ever waited to get a DVD of a movie I love. I've had to double dip so many times, I lost count. I'm glad this time I won't have to double dip.

Now if we could finally get Spiderman Superbit, all will be well with the world! Hey, wasn't it supposed to be released in December? There hasn't been any news from Columbia Tri-Star pictures.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Ah, you have struck me to the quick!

The movie wasn't the best. Let's face it: it was extremely low budget made before comic book movies became really popular. BUT, Dolph Lundgren made an EXCELLENT punisher, and I don't see how anyone else can fill his large shoes. The new film will have lots of effects, but Dolph was a special effect in himself. The most under-used action hero in history.

Back to topic: Excited for DD Director's Cut. Even though it means a double-dip for me. But cut the sex scene? What the....?!

Real Name
Anthony
Hey - those of us who were Marvel fans waited a loooong time for them to get decent treatment in the movies.

Don't talk too soon though - have you seen the trailer for the new PUNISHER movie ? Looks terrible, imo.

Also, I'd put money on a new edition of SPIDER-MAN coming out to tie-in with the sequel. Hopefully with an X-Men 1.5 style doc.

And I still think HULK was great !:)

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Well, allow me to bash. I didn't like the MTV style fight scenes in Daredevil. I want to see clearly what is going on in a battle. I hate Ben Affleck, but I must admit that he did a good job as Daredevil. He fit the role to a tee. I will double dip on this one. I love comic book movies.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
I hated DAREDEVIL at the theatre, but then rediscovered the movie on DVD. Not a great movie, but not at all as bad as in my first impression.

One of the main problem was that it adhered too rigidly to mimicking some "classic moments" from the comic book but only in form, while devoid of real meaning and lacking the emotional resonance. But I will admit that it offered a nice bit of its own when Elektra opens her umbrella so as to become "invisible" to Matt at the cemetery.

Colin Farrell's over-the-top Bullseye is somewhat of an "acquired taste" that gains with revision, but I pity Michael Clarke Duncan for having to play that hollow, nondescript Kingpin. And that flirt-fight between Matt and Elektra was simply ridiculous.

As it has been pointed out by fellow poster Ken, the essential problems of the movie do not lie on its having been toned down for a wider audience, but, on the other hand, the DVD was incredible on the audio/video department, and extra features were well conceived, specially the comic book creators overview, so I have reasonably high hopes for this second dip.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I'm all for exaggeration to prove a point, but this came out in February.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For some strange reason it seemed SO much longer to me. Probably because I love the movie so much. It's probably one of my all-time favourites. To me, it seemed like 3 years of being without it. I only saw it once at the theater and that was it.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

I read that they were doing X3 first and then would follow up with a Wolverine project.

I really enjoyed most of Daredevil, but I can't wait for the director's cut. This may be one of those cases where I keep both versions, if the director's cut isn't significantly better.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Good news on the other Marvel movies...particularly CAPTAIN AMERICA and IRON-MAN.

If movies like that do well, then I see no reason why DC can't make movies based on FLASH, GREEN LANTERN, etc.

And glad they are working on HULK 2. After the focus on the characters in the first HULK, they should be able to ramp in the action in HULK 2 (a bit like X-Men).

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
And glad they are working on HULK 2. After the focus on the characters in the first HULK, they should be able to ramp in the action in HULK 2 (a bit like X-Men).
I was thinking the same thing. It's also good to see that they aren't abandoning the films due to the negative reaction (though, not from me :)).

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Well, they'll especially be able to ramp in the action b/c Ang Lee will probably not direct again. And what "characterization" was there was mostly repression and held-back emotion. And Eric Bana just has no charisma, so I really can't hold out any hope of a better performance this time.

Also, everybody's talking about Garner coming back but I didn't see that they announced a Daredevil 2, am I crazy? Hulk 2 got better box office so I can see them making that, but everybody I went with thought that Daredevil was ridiculous, even though they generally like comic book movies. Not to mention they hate Affleck even more now after Gigli and the whole J. Lo. relationship.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
And Eric Bana just has no charisma, so I really can't hold out any hope of a better performance this time.
That's one reporter's opinion, but for someone with no charisma, he sure managed to make an impression with limited screen time in a large ensemble in Black Hawk Down. He strikes me as an actor who can ramp it up and down as required.

Regards,

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking the same thing. It's also good to see that they aren't abandoning the films due to the negative reaction (though, not from me ).
Yeah...Hulk 2 will definitely benefit from the more origin-focused and foundational Hulk 1.

And even though the box office was disappointing, the critical reaction was fairly good. That will help for the sequel as well.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That's one reporter's opinion, but for someone with no charisma, he sure managed to make an impression with limited screen time in a large ensemble in Black Hawk Down. He strikes me as an actor who can ramp it up and down as required.
I agree with Ken. Personally, I liked Bana's performance, but I agree that it was pretty emotionless. I don't find that to be a fault, as it shows the juxtaposition of no-emotion Bannner and all-emotion Hulk.

Regardless, I think Bana was only playing down the charisma at Ang's instruction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks