What's new

Daredevil Director's Cut in April (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
And I just have to say this: Daredevil kicked Spider-Man's ass on film!
While I did like DD, it was a poor translation to film, when compared to Spidey. It seemed like they were trying to accomplish too much with DD and in the end, accomplished little. While Afleck surprised me in his protrayal, and the story itself was good (in relation to the DD character itself), DD and Electra was a waste as the whole meeting and relationship seemed forced... not natural. My biggest gripe was the handling of the Kingpin. A huge waste of Duncan's talent, as the Kingpin is an excellent character. We should have seen his devlopment in parrellel with DD. And this is where Spidey did better on film. The characters and the spirit of these characters were captured well. Developement was balanced. I could nitpick with the Goblin's costume and the organic web shooters but the movie did capture the Lee/Ditko/Romita era of Spidey perfectly.

Speaking of Romita, I did like that mini homage to Romita in DD (the boxing scene). There were a few of these in the DD movie that were clever and geared to the former/present comic readers.

That all said, I am looking forward to the director's cut. Hopefully a more balanced character development will result of it.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I'm a big fan of the Daredevil film and I try to defend it every chance I get but I just can't see myself buying this DVD. I'll definitely rent it but I'd rather just stick with the current disc.

This has con-job written all over it.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Although you guys say you are glad to hear about mainstream stuff being cut out, I am not glad to hear that the confessional scenes are being cut since that was some really good stuff there which addressed the morality of Murdock's quest, and also gave us insight into what he was feeling.
I'm also disappointed by these cuts since the two have a great relationship in the film. But originally in the script and novelization even, the priest didn't know about Matt's secret until he pulls off his mask. Hopefully there are alternate scenes with the priest so we'll still see his Catholicism.

[qoute]I also hear they cut the sex scene between Elektra and Matt, and I wonder how they're going to accomplish the same stuff now. What happens when she says "Stay with me?" on the rooftop? How does he get the invitation? Maybe it's the same, I don't know.
Originally, he was supposed to leave to help whoever was in trouble. This would have led him to a scene that was recut and used to another effect in the theatrical version (the "I'm not the bad guy" scene). Originally, the guy he beat up was supposed to be connected to the Kingpin instead of another street thug.

A bit of a shame though. I really liked his choice to stay with her. It made him much more than the ordinary hero. :)

I really liked the theatrical cut and am disappointed to see some scenes being cut, but I'm still excited to see the Director's Cut. Much of the deleted material would have cenetered around Matt's day job and investigating into the Kingpin thing. So the Kingpin should play a bigger role, but I don't know how developed he will be. :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I refuse to get excited for Xmen until I hear what cast is coming back. New cast members for already established roles sucks!

Chris Sypal

Stunt Coordinator
Why can't DC have a guy like Avi Arad working for them? I know the answer. It just angers me.

DC movies coming:
Batman (thankfully)
Catwoman (but, not the Catwoman from the comics)

Marvel movies coming:
Spiderman 2
Hulk 2
X-Men 3
Fantastic 4
Elektra
Iron Man
etc, etc, etc.
Simple, DC is stuck with Warner Bros. (or possibly New Line) as their movie studio. Meanwhile, Marvel has used Columbia, Universal, Fox, Artisan, and even New Line.

Zak Hepburn

Stunt Coordinator
DD Director Cut will be most welcome,Hopefully they won't repeat the Supplements from the 2 disc'er.
a "NICK FURY" film should be a fun ride,One of the best MARVEL side characters.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I'll proably buy this version of the movie. I skipped the 1st one with all the rumors of a director's cut going on around.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I hope the Dir Cut does not go back to the original idea of DD running off to fight the thug and leaving Elektra on the roof. In the commentary, the director talks about how nobody would run off and leave the woman they love, especially when she's as adorable as Jennifer Garner. Basically, even DD is human and has other things besides crime he worries about. The director specifically talked about how false it rang in Spider Man when Peter Parker refuses MJ at the end.
I really agreed with this reasoning and was much more pleased by the vulnerability of Matt Murdock in the original cut, so it seems to be going backwards to change that for the Dir Cut. I hope he doesn't. After all, in the commentary it sounds like he felt he made the right choice for DD, and the Dir Cut should be all the best choices. Not just different for different's sake.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I skipped the 1st one with all the rumors of a director's cut going on around.
I had no such insight at the time and now feel burned...

Having watched the movie, I can attest (for myself) that this movie is not worth a second purchase (few are).

Ben's hand-to-hand scenes looked like they were filmed in stop-motion (possibly to compensate for his lack of athletic skill) & I felt he looked overweight for the part.

Having said that, it was just OK.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
Whoever said Spider-Man was better is on crack. Spider-Man was terrible. They covered green goblin's face. Macy Gray. The love stuff took over the story. And the scene with Green Goblin and Spider Man on the rooftop looked like an action figure commercial minus the hands moving them around.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
"Macy Gray"

You're reaching and you know it. It's not like she helped Spiderman catch a criminal or something. She was onscreen for all of 15 seconds total.

it's an easy joke, not a valid criticism.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
No room for subjectivity in your world, eh Justin?
I suppose I overreacted. I thought it did a great disservice to the comic book it was supposed to represent. I was also extremely dissapointed as a fan of Sam Raimi. I guess I don't see how a fan of the comic could have liked the movie. I suppose someone who didn't much read the comic could have taken something from it.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I am looking very forward to the DC of DareDevil. I bought the original release knowing fare well that the DC was coming out in the next year or so. And feel justified in doing so.

I found Daredevil to be superior to Spidey and Hulk in the fact that DD actually kills people. DD sold me within the first 10 minutes of the film when he lets the train smoke the bad guy. My kind of super hero. I am so tired of these beating the crap out of each other fights, and no one really gets seriously hurt. The whole Green Goblin death in Spider-man felt a little lame. Spider-man's arch-rival and he dies by his own devices. (Not sure if it was true to the comic, not a huge Marvel comic follower, but enjoy the movies)

Matt Murdock just has a real person feel about him. A superhero who knows that you can't always let the bad guys walk away with a warning.

KC

Just my 2 cents

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I caught Daredevil for the first time about 2 weeks ago, I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it, I most certainly will be buying the Director's Cut.

My tastes dont line up with the majority , Id rate the Stan Lee adaptations as follows...

of 10 stars---
Hulk 10
Daredevil 10
X-Men 8
X2 8
Spiderman 7

Based primarily on repeat watching as I enjoyed the first viewing of each one of them very much.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I would never have guessed but after seeing it IMO they could not have cast a better Daredevil then Ben Affleck, I though he did a terrific job and his demeanor is perfect for the role.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I hope the Dir Cut does not go back to the original idea of DD running off to fight the thug and leaving Elektra on the roof. In the commentary, the director talks about how nobody would run off and leave the woman they love, especially when she's as adorable as Jennifer Garner. Basically, even DD is human and has other things besides crime he worries about. The director specifically talked about how false it rang in Spider Man when Peter Parker refuses MJ at the end.
I really agreed with this reasoning and was much more pleased by the vulnerability of Matt Murdock in the original cut, so it seems to be going backwards to change that for the Dir Cut. I hope he doesn't. After all, in the commentary it sounds like he felt he made the right choice for DD, and the Dir Cut should be all the best choices. Not just different for different's sake.
This reasoning showed a profound misunderstanding of who the Daredevil character is. The point in Spider-Man where Peter refuses MJ is what makes him a compelling tragic hero rather than a regular guy who likes to beat up criminals. This is the essence of what made the Marvel heros great. They were people who wanted what we all wanted, had the same hang-ups that we all had, but made noble choices, usually at the expense of their personal lives.

The characters would deny what they wanted the most in order to protect the innocent and/or the people they loved. They were regular in that they wanted it, and they were heroic because they would give it up.

Regards,

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Whoever said Spider-Man was better is on crack... The love stuff took over the story.
I've read Spidey comic since 1967 and stopped in the mid 80s. I thought Raimi captured the essence of the comic perfectly. Your nitpicking is amusing but doesn't outweigh the unbalanced movie that was DD.

The love stuff? How old are you?

I guess I'll take another hit :rolleyes

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The director specifically talked about how false it rang in Spider Man when Peter Parker refuses MJ at the end.
It doesn't ring false at all. Spiderman is all about "With power, comes responsibility". Considering that a villan tried using MJ as a lever against him, it wouldn't be smart to have a relationship with her, particularly since he might not be able to save her next time. It was the responsible choice, even if his emotions were telling him otherwise.

As for the subject of this post, I am looking forward to renting the DC, even tho I found the movie a steaming pile. I always like to see if there was a better movie left in the editing room, tho I don't think anything will improve Affleck's "acting".

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks