What's new

Dare I say Reference Quality? This is the way DVD should be! (1 Viewer)

Dre J

Stunt Coordinator
Want a reference DVD with no EE, no special effects, natural colors, and near Superbit quality bit rates?
“The BROTHERS”
This DVD was a sleeper for me. I’ve had this DVD for a few weeks and recently got to view it.
The video quality is STELLAR!
No EE!
Beautiful, natural colors (Solid and pastel)!
Excellent use of Black level with indoors shots!
Gorgeous outdoor shots with excellent settings and suburban scenery!
This movie (The Brothers) was written and directed by Gary Hardwick. It’s content is very good and tackles some serious issues that are overlaid with comedy. IMO this film is done very well from the beginning character development to the evolution of the main character. If you watch the movie once and then watch it again with the director’s commentary, you will be surprised at how well his intent was portrayed on film.
The audio is very clean and has occasional punch when called for.
This is one of those films the wife will not mind watching and the comedy overlay is just what’s needed to allow this film to shine as entertaining yet having meaning. Don't sell yourself short by missing this transfer.
In short, I’m stunned at the quality of this DVD and I think you will be to (especially the Front projector crowd).
Dre

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Dre,
Ditto that!!!
I just watched The Brothers last night, and I must say that I was awed by the picture quality. Outstanding!
Looks great on my Mits 55" in all it's 1.85:1 glory.
Troy
------------------
quote::My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Dre J

Stunt Coordinator
I can literally put my nose on the screen of my RPTV, because it's that clean!
Michael, You won't be disappointed with this transfer.
Troy, It's getting close to our HT meet time. I've almost nailed down Oct 13th as the date I'm hosting the next meet. Are you going to make it this time?
Dre

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
sound was shockingly LOW on the dialnorm.
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Yes, Dre!!!
I picked this one up this past summer on the fly, and let me please say this...
It was a very good find!!!
Portions of this movie had me truly laughing. Others were quite sensitive yet compelling. Nonetheless, I look forward to listening to the director's audio commentary to see how much of his vision did indeed come to the forefront as the film was being put together...and ultimately made.
I thought there was a fine video presentation to this one...with lots of action with the audio. Of course, since I last saw this one, I have gone on to upgrade my speaker system all-the-way around: new center channel, front-end floorstanding, and bookshelf (surround) speakers, complete with newer, stronger speaker wiring (with more to come) and my previous center-channel speaker being set aside to be used as my center surround speaker once the Onkyo 797 comes to pass at long last!!!!!
Soon, I shall revisit The Brothers to see how well it does sound in my reconfigured theatre!!!! :)
Great call, Dre, IMHO, on this one!!!! :)
------------------
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

Robert George

Screenwriter
Chris:
There should be a large knob on your receiver/controller labeled "volume". Adjusting this will take care of that nasty dialnorm "problem".

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Obi,
Funny!!
laugh.gif

Dre,
I'm down! You got SVS?
Troy
------------------
quote::My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
haha,
and when the menu comes on, I have to turn it all the way down again.
the movie was poor anyway, with 1 funny scene.
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Dre J

Stunt Coordinator
After reviewing TFE Superbit, I stand behind my statement even more now. This non-Suberbit DVD is the most cleanest, EE free DVD I've ever seen.
You can enlarge this DVD to fill any large screen and still Be a happy camper. It's the best non-superbit DVD I've seen to date.
IMO:
It beats Braveheart for no EE.
It beats TFE for color.
It beats Gladiator for perceived resolution.
Someone prove me wrong! View the DVD.
Dre
------------------
My little corner of the world
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks