What's new

Dardenne Brother's "La Promesse" (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
For any who have not had the opportunity to see this powerful film, I strongly recommned it. My review (with screen captures from the New Yorker DVD) CAN BE FOUND BY CLICKING HERE.
The Dardenne brothers, using their pronounced documentary-style realism where all actions on screen appear uncontrived, have successfully removed any visible efforts, magnificently disguising their painstaking work. This is absolutely masterful cinema that is unforgettable for most who are fortunate enough to have viewed it. With no solution offered to the crux of the storyline, it appears to have evolved serendipitously, adding a more powerful impact on the viewer. I can't say enough about this film.
I was overwhelmed by Rosetta from Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne... and likewise for La Promesse. I will eventually review the DVD is the Software Forum...
Cheers,

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Gary, I loved La Promesse when I saw it at the festival 6 years ago ;)
A really good film, strongly reminiscent of the social-realism style of British filmmaker, Ken Loach who's films are as equally as good! (and undoubtedly a strong influence on the Dardennes).
I'm anxious to see Rosetta, but so far no luck
Nice review and screengrabs!

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Hey Bill,
Thanks for the comments....
I don't know how much Loach inspired the Dardennes as they were making documentaries 20 years prior to La Promesse... but you may be right.
By the way, since I'm too lazy to e-mail... my screeners came in today and I'll be sure to get in touch once I have seen them...
Cheers,

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I love both of the Dardennes films, especially since documentary style films are a particular favorite of mine (Mike Leigh, Ken Loach, Vagabond). Rosetta is one of the most perceptive and humanistic films I've seen in quite a long time. I loved the fact that the Dardennes didn't present their character in an overly sympathetic light, which it would have been so easy to do given her plight. I haven't seen La Promesse since it came out so I'm so happy to see that it is out on DVD (although I bought the R2 DVD which also contains Rosetta).

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Yes Jay, I envy you R2 ( and Region Free player ) people... I finally got a Chinese R0 Rosetta which isn't too bad... I love the flm and should be reviewing it in the next few days...

Cheers,

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Gary

I've said this before, but you've got to get a region free player, especially as the price for a good one is under $300. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Oh, and also, I always look forward to your reviews. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks