What's new

Dangit! Replaced Kenwood with Yamaha now need a new TV?? (1 Viewer)

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Well, my Kenwood took a dump recently and yesterday, I became the proud owner of an open box Yamaha RXV-540. So far, it's been a great little box, sounding fuller and deeper than the Kenwood ever did. And it has a ton of video inputs, so, I decided to try to route my stuff through it.

I had component cables for my DVD so I went from that to the Yamaha. I ran the Tivo (composite) into the Cable Box input and my PS2 (S-video) into the VCR input. Everything ran out via an S-video cable to my TV. How cool is it that I can now do one button push and have the desired device? Very. But, I needed another set of component cables (for Yamaha (DVD) to TV) as well as another S-video cable (for Yamaha (Tivo) to TV).

Today I ran around town and got myself a set of component cables and an S-video cable. I went home for lunch and plugged everything in. Works great. Except that instead of being able to leave the TV on Video 1 and have TV, DVD, PS2, I can only have TV and PS2 controlled by the Yamaha. For component video DVD, I have to switch my TV to Video 2 as Video 1 only accepts composite and S-video :angry:. Needless to say, I'm a bit bummed about this. I won't be upgrading my TV anytime soon so I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I should be able to set a macro on my universal remote so I can still "one button" start my DVD.

PS: Mods, not sure if this is the right forum for this post. Please move if necessary!

RickRodig

Auditioning
I only use one s-video to my tv and all the other s-videos connections to my yamaha receiver and it works fine that way. I wouldn't worry about composite video jacks until such time as you get a tv that excepts them. Mine doesn't have composite video inputs so I just use the s-video from the receiver. You might try that.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks