What's new

Cyberhome CH-DVR1500 ......any good? (1 Viewer)

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Walmart has the recorder for $248 right now. Anybody have any experience with it? Quality of recording, ease of use, reliability? Thanks.

Steve

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
The same question I have also. Just saw the it in the Wal-Mart ad. It records onto DVD+R/ RW Discs. Built in TV Tuner and 2 A/V inputs. Live and timer recording and Progressive Scan video.

If anybody has any experience with this model let us know. I am thinking of buying one when I get my refund in.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
BrandsMart USA www.brandsmartusa.com(A Small Chain In Flordia) has the Samsung R4000 (A Panasonic Clone) on Sale this week for $248.88 & this is the 3RD time they have run them at that price. That's $200.00 off of Sears Price & I wonder if Sears would match them? BrandsMart USA WILL NOT SHIP ANYTHING because they are not in the mail order business. I wish they were because they do come up with some GREAT Prices! Click on CURRENT ADDS then Page 4

Jay Slater

Auditioning
Got one just after Christmas. GREAT unit for the money. The DVD+R's are a bit more expensive, but I finally found a deal on a spindle of Imations. Hardest part was finding media that was compatible with the other players in the house. The Imations and Maxells seem to be the most compatible. DVD+RW would only play in my Phillips player. Of course everything recorded in this player plays back fine. Also anything I've thrown at it (VCD, SVCD, etc) has had zero problems.

It's also a top-notch full featured player with component video outs and optical and coaxial audio outs. It also has 2 sets of S-Video inputs. Zoom, up to 60X fast forward, down to 1/8 slow-motion, jump to a specific time capability, and great MP3 playback.

The only cons I have found are the convoluted method for naming the titles you record (no alphanumeric remote. Instead you have to scroll through all the letters), and some chapter instabilities when playing back on older players. I have a Panasonic RV31 that hangs for a second on the chapter marks (so I don't put them in anymore).

Great unit! I would highly recommend it. And at the price (248 at WallyWorld), if it only lasts a year, it doesn't break the bank to pick up a new one.

Jay Slater

Auditioning
Of course days after I wrote that, I've come home to find that the thing won't recognize any discs at all. My fiance had put a disc in, the motor spun to the point it was audible, and when she hit the eject button, it came flying out like a frisbee. I've unplugged the unit, let it discharge, and started it up to no avail. Guess I'm heading back to WalMart tomorrow..

Grrrrrr...

Jay Slater

Auditioning
OK. Picked up another one after my last post and have been using the heck out of it. No probs so far, but anything recorded does seem to hang up on Panasonic players. Tried it in 3 different RV-31's and one brand new model and get the same thing. Occasional freezes for about 1 second. Of course none of these players say that they play DVD+R's, so that may be the issue. My JVC plays everything back flawlessly.

Still recommend the unit. Buy it at Walmart as they take back any prob units no questions asked. (Kept the 3 free DVD+RW's that shipped with both units) ;)

Dave-P

Agent
Doesn't CompUSA charge a 15% "restocking fee" to return an item? If so, that'd be enough to keep me away from them.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
DVD+R media isn't as compatible as (-) as (-) is consortium ratified, + isn't.. that having been said, there are more and more players that effectively support +.

But as far as realworld compatibility goes, it's

(most to least)

-R
+RW
-RW
+R

So, I'd probably record on a +RW and then just copy onto a - disc on the PC :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've had more compatibility problems with the +RW's than the non-rewritables- my PS2 can never read them (the newer-manufactured PS2s can though) and I sent one to a friend who couldn't play them either. Never had any problems with the +R's, but they're more of a pain to use since any chapters you want to put in have to be done on the fly, and of course you can't start over if you mess up something.
A good word of advice with any DVD recorder is to use it exclusively for recording whenever possible, that should give it fewer problems. The one I have (Philips) is a pain to play discs on anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks