What's new

Culture clash - middle eastern coworker (1 Viewer)

Peter Burtch

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

Perhaps you might ask her(or have her parents/friends) if they would identify more with Indian muslims, or muslim people from an Arab country in the Middle East. I would be shocked if she said the latter.

-Pete

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, if that's the comparison, then definitely Indian muslims is who she would identify with... when I said "Indian culture" I meant Indian Hindus. I guess there are too many cultures in India to make such blanket statements.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I was about to suggest that perhaps she meant "frail" rather than the more loaded "weak", but if she grew up in the US, that semantic misunderstanding seems relatively unlikely.

Just to chime in, even amongst people who are the same ethnicity, we can think rather differently and have very different attitudes, even towards one another. I speak of the Chinese, whose diaspora is very widespread, and it will not surprise you if I say that American Chinese are going to be very different from Singaporean Chinese, who can be quite different even from our next-door neighbours the Malaysian Chinese, let alone the Hongkongers or the Taiwanese, who will all differ from those from the "motherland".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks