What's new

Peacock Crystal Lake (Friday The 13th Prequel Series) (1 Viewer)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
2.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure what can be done with this to create any drama as a prequel to the original film? Is this just going to be a couple summers-worth of little Jason being bullied at camp?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what can be done with this to create any drama as a prequel to the original film? Is this just going to be a couple summers-worth of little Jason being bullied at camp?
My guess is that it's not really a prequel and it'll be like Bates Motel where they tell the origin/early lives of the movie characters (maybe in a modern setting). So Jason will drown at the end of a season and Mrs. Voorhees will go on a killing spree in the next.

Based on Twitter, I have no doubt that Bryan Fuller is a big fan of Friday The 13th and his creative input gives me hope but if not for him, I'd be dreading something like this.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I missed this post but heard about this today. The thing that has me interested is that A24 is involved and that tends to indicate a high quality effort. As I understand it this series is supposed to take place prior to the events of the first film. I hope it is a period piece and not an update. No clue what they have in mind for story and not sure what they want to do but I would guess that they must have an idea they like if they are doing this.

So, a prequel would mean that Jason is not killing people in this series because he is not SPOILER the killer in the first film. Which if that spoiled something for you, wow, you are way behind.

What would they cover then? Well, yes, they could cover Jason being tormented and his camp experience. They could cover his mother spiraling into madness. They could, I guess, have some sort of story about how the camp or land it occupies is evil. I mean there are options.

However, I think this series did become identified by a huge guy in a hockey mask killing people in gruesome ways. Now, I don't think the hockey mask comes in until the third film...is that right? So, the question is, would Friday the 13th fans want to watch a series that does not involve Jason slaughtering people? Are you interested in backstory? If the series itself is spooky and taking place at a children's camp is that enough to hold your attention?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
As a sort of funny aside, my nephews were at my house this summer and when they were here, I happened to wear a Camp Crystal Lake t-shirt to bed and when I got up in the morning the younger one, he's 10, saw the shirt while we were having breakfast and he said in awe "You went to Camp Crystal Lake?"

I was sipping my coffee and nearly spit it all over the place because I started to laugh. I asked what he knew about Camp Crystal Lake and he said "That's where the Jason movie happened."

Stunned, because his mother won't let him see anything violent (I mean she yelled at me once for mentioning the movie Cars to him because she thought it was too violent for children), I asked him how he knew about that movie. He would not tell me how he knew about it and I asked if he had seen it and he said he had not.

His older brother chimed in and said that he knows about a lot of horror movies and keeps track of these things and nobody really knows how he knows about them but they don't tell their mom. His mom, who was not present on this visit, would flip out if she knew I was having a conversation about Friday the 13th and Camp Crystal Lake over morning coffee with her son.

He asked me if it was a real place and I explained that it was not really but that there was a Camp Crystal Lake in New Jersey (he lives on the Lower East Side in New York) that was where they filmed the movie and you could visit it and that I thought you could camp there. This kind of blew him away. He asked if I had camped there and I told him I had not.

"You've been there though?" he asked.

"No, I have not." I replied.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Well, I don't really like New Jersey." I said. "If I am going to camp, I will go up to the mountains."

"But don't you want to see it?" he asked.

"Not really. You know what is in the movie is not real, right?"

"It isn't?"

"No, it isn't. It's just a story they made up for the movie and the camp is just out in some part of New Jersey where they filmed it.

"Oh." he said.

"Do you want to see it?" I asked.

"Kind of, yes. Is it scary?"

"Well, I would take you there if your mother would let me. And yes, going to New Jersey is always scary but that has more to do with traffic not serial killers. They do have the witch of the Pine Barrens though and the Jersey devil." I said and smiled.

"Is that the Blair Witch?" he asked wide eyed.

"Yes, in fact it is."

"What is the Jersey devil?"

"It is some kind of creature that also lives in the Pine Barrens with the witch." I laughed.

"Are they real?" he said looking nervous.

"They are legends." I said.

"What does that mean?" he asked.

"It means that people are not sure if they are real." his brother said and seemed to be enjoying this.

"Really?" he said looking frightened.

"No, not really." I said before his brother said anything else. "It means that somebody made up some shit to get people's attention."

He laughed when I said shit.

"Legends are stories too. Stories people tell to scare or interest people and then some people think they are real and so they tell people the stories to make those people think they are real." I explained.

"Do you think there is a devil or a witch there?" he asked.

"No, but if you want to meet a real witch, I can take you to Salem and introduce you to one."

"What? You know a witch?" he stammered while his brother now also looked nervous.

It was at this moment their father walked in and asked what we were talking about. I explained his son knew about the Friday the 13th movie and spotted my Camp Crystal Lake shirt and thought I had been there.

Looking annoyed he said "Yeah, not sure how he finds out about this stuff."

Later when he was going through the movie library upstairs he asked me if I had Friday the 13th.

"Sure I do." I said "I don't think your dad will let you watch it though."

"Can I see it though?" he asked wanting to hold the box. I handed it to him. When I pulled it off the shelf he stared in amazement at the boxes there.

"That's the horror section." I said.

"Wow, those are all horror movies?" he said.

"Yup."

"Wow, you have watched all of them?"

"Yes."

"I want to watch them all." he began reading titles on the shelf.

"Well, I have no rules here, so I would let you but if your mom finds out, she would probably never let you see me again."

"Would you tell her?" he asked.

"No, but your dad probably would."

"Oh." he said looking disappointed.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Interesting that he claims he can use everything because it's streaming TV and not film. I thought Sean Cunningham retained the trademarks to everything after the original film, including adult Jason, the hockey mask, and any characters that didn't exist in the original film? I didn't think switching mediums would override those protections.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This sounds interesting on paper, but I still wish we were getting the Nick Antosca feature-script that Paramount inexplicably decided not to run with. Friday the 13th and Fuller are both great on their own, but together? At the very least, it will be interesting to see how he approaches the material, though. Hannibal had an elegance to it that this cannot possibly have. And Fuller seems to make stuff like that, or brings even more to it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that he claims he can use everything because it's streaming TV and not film. I thought Sean Cunningham retained the trademarks to everything after the original film, including adult Jason, the hockey mask, and any characters that didn't exist in the original film? I didn't think switching mediums would override those protections.
My guess is that Cunningham's contract specified movies so they can get around that with a streaming show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks