What's new

Crossover setting with no sub (1 Viewer)

Ryan_McG

Grip
Hello all,

I am a newbie here in this forum and this is my very first post, so please be gentle.

I am currently running a full Athena set up off of my entry level Pioneer VSX-D510 Receiver.

Front: 2 AS-F2's
Center: 1 AS-C1
Rears: 2 AS-B1
No sub at the moment

While I am waiting to pick up a sub, I am wondering what I should set my crossover at. I have 3 options on this amp. 100HZ, 150HZ and 200HZ.

Also, I was hoping someone could clarify for me how the LFE attenuator setting works?

Any help is much appreciated.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Welcome to the HTF, Ryan. I'm not familiar with the Athena's, but generally, you would want to set your main speakers to large, the rest to small, and sub to no with the crossover at 100 Hz, if your mains can handle some bass. If they are bookshelves, you might be better off setting everything to large and not running your system hard for DVDs until you get a sub.

If your center and/or rears can't handle much bass at all, you could set them to small and try the higher crossover points. The bottom line is you'll have to experiment and find which compromise works best based on the speakers capabilities.

You might want to turn on the dynamic range compression, as well.

The LFE anttenuator will be especially important since you don't have a sub. It will allow you to set the peak level for LFE and rerouted bass from channels set to small so bass frequencies don't overload your speakers. When you are making the adjustment, set it to a level just below where you start hearing the speaker/s distort.

Good luck,

DJ

Ryan_McG

Grip
That is excellent David. Thanks for the feedback.

Well since my front's can handle bass as they have 2 8 inch cones, I do think that based on what you suggested I will set them to large with a crossover at 100 Hz. I will also mess around with the DRC and LFE.

Thanks again, :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks